Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: RAW files in Lightroom

RAW files in Lightroom 4 years 4 months ago #1616

• Gareth Lowrey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I am having an issue with my RAW files in Lightroom. When I import them into Lightroom there is a lot of noise in the file an no amount of noise reduction seems to help. I am not sure if this is something I am doing wrong, if this is my camera (Canon 500D or Rebel something or other in the US I believe) or if it is just me being over critical. This does not just happen with files at higher ISOs but I have seen the same noise at ISO 100 as at ISO 800. Is this something in my technique or where am I going wrong? I realise the RAW file is raw data and no sharpening is applied but if I sharpen the picture it just makes it worse. This may be an issue with my post proccessing. I am happy to send a file if it will help.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: RAW files in Lightroom 4 years 4 months ago #1621

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi there Gareth,

Do you have the same problem with Adobe Photoshop?

I am experiencing the same problem with my Canon 60D, but when i shoot with my 500D, the images are tacsharp.

My Canon will be replaced soon by Canon under guarentee, so maybe you have to contact your local camera store to do that. I think you have the same problem as me.

I posted on flickr a photoset of my images out of the 60d, they are pure out of lightroom, nothing done with any slider. Take a look at it, if you have the same, then i have a noice reduction preset for you to take some out with sharpening etc.

www.flickr.com/photos/rvofoto/sets/72157629448895374/

Otherwise, let it be checked by your camera store/by Canon.

I hope to hear you soon.
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Roy van Ommen.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: RAW files in Lightroom 4 years 4 months ago #1631

• Gareth Lowrey
  • Fresh Boarder
It is quite strange as some of the pictures I took at 800ISO seem less noisy. I am not sure if it is me and my technique or if I am doing something wrong in post. I am going to try converting to DNG to see if there that makes a difference (but also to see if I can speed Lightroom up!). It seems to be in the black areas/dark areas of the pictures.

I wouldn't mind the preset anyway. I am still coming to grips with Lightroom and any help is welcomed.

Thanks for the response.

GAreth

Re: RAW files in Lightroom 4 years 4 months ago #1632

• Roy van Ommen
60D Ruisreductie.rar
Hi Gareth,

Sure, i would share my preset :) I called it "60D Ruisreductie" because, well, i am Dutch. Rename it in Lightroom after you imported it if you want.

You can tweak it by every photo, its not a regular line, some pictures will be too mucht, try to slide some of the sharpness and noice reduction back and forward.

I am working on Windows 7, so its located at:
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Develop Presets\User Presets

Good luck,

Greetings,
Roy

(p.s. Karma +1 if you like ;)))))
Attachments:
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Roy van Ommen.

Re: RAW files in Lightroom 4 years 4 months ago #1640

• Gareth Lowrey
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Roy

Thanks for that I have downloaded it. I am thinking of upgrading to the 5Dmk2 as they have come down in price since the MK3 release and second hand ones seem pretty reasonable.

I am originally from South Africa so most Dutch word do not scare me.

Thanks again for that.

Gareth

Re: RAW files in Lightroom 4 years 4 months ago #1641

• Roy van Ommen
Hi!

The 5D mkII is an amazing piece of equipment, but keep in mind your standard crop factor lenses will not work on a full frame sensor...

What kind of gear are you using?

And did the preset help you?

Greetings,
Roy

Re: RAW files in Lightroom 4 years 4 months ago #1642

• Gareth Lowrey
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi there

Yes I know luckily I have been buying full frame lenses apart from the 17-50mm 2.8 Tamron which I thought was when I bought it (bad research on my part really). But I have to 50mm 1.8 plastic fantastic which I am still getting used to the short DOF and am getting loads of ever so slightly out of focus shots with it but this is happening less and less (getting better I suppose!)I recently bought the Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro lens which is nice. I still have the 18-55mm kit lens and the 70-300mm Tamron which I rarely use anymore as it is really soft.

I think I might rent the 5DMK2 to have a play before I buy.

I gave the preset a go and yes I think I will be using it. Thanks again for that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roy van Ommen

Re: RAW files in Lightroom 4 years 4 months ago #1643

• Roy van Ommen
Hi there Gareth,

I think that apart from the 50 mm 1.8, all of your lenses are not really suitable for a full frame camera. You will get the best out of it with L glass.

Apart from that, why considering a 5D, try to know your current gear or try to buy lenses first before buying a camera..

Think about the following set:

Canon EF 24-70 F2.8 L
Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS Mk II
Keeping the 50 mm prime lens

Or something similair to that.. i don't think the Tamron 70-300 works well on a full frame body, i know it has already some vignetting, with full frame it will get worse...

And the Kitlens 18-55 is not suitable too, and to be honest, you don't want to put such piece of glass in front of such an expensive body..

Try to invest in your lenses, i don't want to be harsh on you, but try that first, get your camera fixed by Canon or if you have your guarantee, let it be replaced by your local camera store, and shoot..

Your camera should be good for a long time.. first your glass, then the body..

Greetings! (Hope you are not mad at me haha)

Roy

Re: RAW files in Lightroom 4 years 4 months ago #1644

• Gareth Lowrey
  • Fresh Boarder
HI there

No don't worry about upsetting me. I have looked at the 70-200 and and the 24-70 and am thinking about saving up for them before the body. I have had the 500D for about 2 years but have only recently started taking photography seriously (hence the lenses). I wouldn't use the 70-300 on a better body though. I also haven't used the kit lens for ages it just sits in my bag.

Thanks for the advice it does give me food for thought.
Hope all is well across the channel.

Re: RAW files in Lightroom 4 years 4 months ago #1647

• Roy van Ommen
Any time man! :)

Good luck on your journey, maybe we could talk again on the forum if you have new stuff!

We keep posted

(BTW, my skype is: roy.vanommen ;))

Greetings,
Roy

Re: RAW files in Lightroom 4 years 4 months ago #1654

Proper exposure usually helps with noise issues especially with older bodies. Make sure you are using your histogram and properly exposing to the right whenever possible.

Re: RAW files in Lightroom 4 years 4 months ago #1668

• Roy van Ommen
Thats correct Gregory, except, some of the Canon models has extreme noise, even at ISO 100 with a proper exposure.

Its just a sensor manufacture defact and needs to be fixed by Canon. They have already said they know the problem.

And off course, a proper exposure will get the standard noise out of the low iso images.

Greetings.
Roy
  • Page: