Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lightroom 5

Lightroom 5 3 years 7 months ago #3841

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi everyone, for those of you who don't know, the new Lightroom 5 is available to download as a preview beta version from Adobe labs here.

For anyone who has tried it, let us know what you think please. :) Even though I am a Photoshop/Camera Raw user, I am about to try it now and will give my thoughts on it soon.

Enjoy! :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lightroom 5 3 years 7 months ago #3842

• Conor Casey
Forgot to say, you need an Adobe account to download it (you can create one if you don't have one), and you will also have to choose whether you want the download for PC or Mac later. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Lightroom 5 3 years 7 months ago #3857

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi :)

I have downloaded earlier on, and i have to say, there is not a really big difference in function to me...

I will have to run down the changes to really find them.. i will do that soon

Thanks for making this visible on the forum.

Greetings,
Roy

Lightroom 5 3 years 7 months ago #3858

• Conor Casey
I have to agree with you Roy; I am not so impressed...

I use Photoshop and Camera Raw and I am not a Lightroom user at all and I can see why. I like the ease of use of Lightroom in general but it is all just a bit too general/global for me; I like being able to do precise local adjustments in PS. I know LR can do this but in my opinion, PS is still better at this and for me, it's still number 1.

In terms of Lightroom 5: it's fine, although I don't see many new changes as opposed to Lightroom 4. It is evolution as opposed to revolution so far. The following are the new features for those who don't know:

1) Radial Gradient: this applies a circular gradient mask to your image, allowing you to create off-centre vignettes, but also allowing selective blur to be applied to an area of the image.

2) Advanced Healing Brush: better at removing unwanted things in your image. Seems to work fine.

3) Upright/Perspective Camera Correction: It's an automatic straighten feature which will correct tilting images without lost of PS work. It creates a level horizon too. I actually found this feature the best one so far and it worked quite well on my tests.

4) Offline editing with Smart Previews: haven't tried this yet.

5) Video slideshow sharing and Improved photo book creation: haven't tried this yet either.

The differences seem to be small but good enough so far to warrant an upgrade.

I wonder whether we will see layers included in the final version as in Photoshop which a lot of users have apparently been looking for. If that was the case, it could finally eliminate the need for Photoshop for a lot of photographers. We shall see...
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Conor Casey.