Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What software do you pair with Lightroom?

What software do you pair with Lightroom? 3 years 6 months ago #4128

• Tim Shrimpton
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi everyone!

Just curious what everyone does with images that need a little bit of extra help.

I may have use for some Adobe products (Acrobat Pro, etc.) so I've been contemplating hopping on board the Creative Cloud. As an educator, the discount make it more reasonable.

However, I'm wondering if full-blown Photoshop is something I really need. Are the cloning / healing brushes in Photoshop Elements 11 on par with CS6? What advantages to a photographer does real Photoshop have that Elements does not have? I think I'd like to "own" a piece of software whose functionality wouldn't disappear because I stopped wanting to pay $20 or $30 a month for it, but if the big stuff is really worthwhile, it'd be a long time of the cloud software before you'd spend more that way than buying the software straight up.

Do you pair anything else with Lightroom? For those of you with more skill and have used the beta, is the healing brush in LR5 on par with those in Photoshop CS6 & Elements? Is there becoming less reason to have another program with LR and maybe just buy the upgrade when it hits?

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What software do you pair with Lightroom? 3 years 6 months ago #4137

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi!

To be honest, i am using Lightroom a lot! And if lightroom cannot fix a thing like the spot healing brush, i would take the image after the edit in Photoshop (CS6) to do that.

Personally, i have the Master Collection Suite which i had from of CS4. I have really never touched Elements to be honest so i cannot give you a opinion on that one.

I really think that Lightroom would be enough. In my studio i am, and my intern are both using Lightroom everyday and i am thinking that i am not even touching the bounderies of the software.

No software next to Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop for me. And i don't see the benefit at this moment to get Photoshop in the cloud. So that will keep me for a while @ CS6.

Good luck on it.

Greetings,
Roy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tim Shrimpton
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

What software do you pair with Lightroom? 3 years 6 months ago #4142

• Tim Shrimpton
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Roy!

Any thoughts on full Photoshop vs. Photoshop Elements? What does Elements not do that the full program does that is useful for an amateur photographer? The healing tools seem to be roughly equivalent as I've been played with it.

Thanks!

What software do you pair with Lightroom? 3 years 6 months ago #4147

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Wow, there is a load of talk on here about Photoshop and Lightroom which is very good - always nice to see some lively debate! :)

I use Photoshop CS6 for the majority of my editing although lately I've been dipping my toes into the waters of Lightroom with the free beta version 5 being out for free on Adobe Labs. I personally find PS is still the best for heavy editing. I reckon I could do 80% of my editing in LR nowadays.

As for you Tim, I would go with PS. I am unfamiliar with Elements tbh Tim but it is a scaled down version of the main software. As an educator, you will get a major discount. For me as a student, it was something like €400 which is amazing. Elements will also give you a discount but it ail be less. Considering you are in a position to get such a good discount, I would go with the main version for sure. It seems a shame to be in that position but still go with the lesser version. Although Elements is excellent and may very well serve you well, you could find that there are things in PS that you would like to have and considering you can get it much cheaper than anyone else, I would go with CS6.

The new LR 5 beta's healing brush is good but it is still not on par with the full PS. The full version of PS has a ton of healing brushes that LR can't really match - the clone tool, the stamp tool, the spot removal tool, content aware fill etc etc. These are the same, as far as I am aware in Elements though.

Something to remember about the difference between Elements and CS6 is that if you are not entirely comfortable with PS, Elements might be better as it is more user-friendly and has a less austere learning curve. Despite this, I would still go with the full CS6 as you can learn with it.
Conor Casey
Flickr

What software do you pair with Lightroom? 3 years 6 months ago #4155

• Tim Shrimpton
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Conor!

Thank you for your input! I appreciate it.

It's true that the educator discount for Photoshop is pretty intense, but it's still a good sum of money. $315 is a great deal compared to $700 or $1000, but it's still a huge amount more than the $60 for Elements. I haven't found decent answers yet to what you can't do in terms of photography in Elements that you can in full Photoshop. The only thing that sort of has me thinking about things at the moment is the lack of the pen tool in Elements. Not that I really know how to use that, mind you, but... ;)

That being said, I also run cross-platform. I have a Windows desktop and a Mac laptop. I use the Windows machine far more than than the Apple one for photo stuff, but if I own the software I'd like to be able to use it on either computer. Elements does that by default. It seems like I'm likely to need to go with the Creative Cloud version to get that to happen with Photoshop CS6 (later, CC). But that carries with it a whole host of other issues, yet I could have use for Acrobat Pro and Illustrator on occasion. But that monthly pricetag, even with the educator discount, when factoring in mostly just Lightroom and Photoshop is kind of insane.

I'll keep mulling it over. I've got a month or so to decide. If anyone has any further thoughts, please throw them down here!

What software do you pair with Lightroom? 3 years 6 months ago #4156

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Well,

I would really like to help you, but i don't have the experience with Elements.

My opinion is that you have to take a risk in your situation. Is Elements giving you the options you want at this moment? Then stick with it. If you are missing things, go for Photoshop...

Thats the only thing i can say. With Photoshop CS you can do everything (in my opinion). If you are touching the bounderies with Elements.... than consider buying the Full Photoshop software..

Good luck on your decision.

Greetings,
Roy