Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Different edits in Lightroom

Different edits in Lightroom 3 years 6 months ago #4256

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Okay, so i have set myself a challenge. I photographed a flower on my balcony some months ago. I came across it and thought of something.

This was just a testshot. I really don't know what i was thinking at that point but okay.

So the challenge is this. I give myself 3 minutes for each edit. Moving sliders around and i created 5 images.

I am very curious which one you guys like the most!

Here we go!

RVOFoto -1-5 by RVOFoto, on Flickr

RVOFoto -1-2 by RVOFoto, on Flickr

RVOFoto -1-3 by RVOFoto, on Flickr

RVOFoto -1-4 by RVOFoto, on Flickr

RVOFoto -1-5 by RVOFoto, on Flickr

So i know which one i like and which one is my standard way of editting stuf. But i am curious about which one you guys like! :)

And yes, i am able to share the RAW file if you want to give it your shot too!

Looking forward to your reactions!

Greetings,
Roy
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Different edits in Lightroom 3 years 6 months ago #4259

• Dwayne
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
#2 for me. I like the translucency of the flower petals. and the brightness on the green foliage.

#3 seems dull. B&W flowers seems wrong. #1,4,5 seem way to vibrant or overly saturated for me.
But I guess it all depends what your final intention is going to be.

I find it strange that you mention you have a "standard" way of editing? To me each picture needs to be dealt with individually, if at all. Each shot being of a different subject and lighting condition.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Different edits in Lightroom 3 years 6 months ago #4262

• Roy van Ommen
Hi Dwayne,

Thanks for your response. I have to say, the color of the foilage and the green of the flower are the actual colors at that moment. :)

What i was saying, is that everyone develops a certain style for editting. And if you are photographing digital for over 10 years, and you are editting them always in photoshop and later in lightroom, you know at a certain point that if you want to create something, like me, portraits in the studio. That you need to move a certain slider to get a specific effect.

So i am trying to figure out in other situations how people like different edits :)

Greetings,
Roy

Different edits in Lightroom 3 years 6 months ago #4264

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
#1 and #5. I dont think the black and white fits this situation. #3 if flat. #2 is cool but I prefer a more realistic photo.

I know exactly what you mean. As a photographer, you have a certain "style." A majority of my photos are black and white and over contrasted. I love the heavy blacks. My color photos tend to be slightly over saturated. In most of my edits I start with a "base" preset and tweek from there.

Different edits in Lightroom 3 years 6 months ago #4269

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
I guess I'll give a vote for #3, it looks the most natural to me. I also like the black and white one.

Different edits in Lightroom 3 years 6 months ago #4273

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
I like numbers 1 and 5. Maybe I am a traditionalist, but I think these look the best because they're the most natural.

I do like number two but I wouldn't have gone so far on the clarity myself; although I can appreciate why you did for the purpose of the 5 different edits.

3 looks way too dull for my tastes. I am not too sure about the black and white either to be perfectly honest.

I like the idea though Roy of doing different edits; it is good for training the eye. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr

Different edits in Lightroom 3 years 6 months ago #4279

• Roy van Ommen
Hiya!

Well, thanks for the reactions.

What you can see is that most of the people like the more natural ones. But some people like the "over the top" edit (like number 2..)

The way you edit images is the way you are presenting your images and its a personal thing. But keep it natural :) Thats what we can narrow down after these reactions :)

Thanks all for giving your reaction :)

Greetings,
Roy