Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

Image Defects after using Adjustment Brush - Help?

More
3 years 7 months ago #4525 by The Grease Man
just did a small adjustment brush on an area in my photo that i wanted some more exposure/clarity

after doing so, a large amount of "grain" showed up...not noise grain, but almost like pepper flakes

i went back & made the brush size smaller & just went back over & over & over the area which seemed to clear up most of the "pepper"

but im more curious as to what causes this & how can i avoid it in the future?

the "pepper" im referring to is in the flag of this image

flag-036 by ExplicitSnow , on Flickr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #4526 by Gabe
Turn off the Auto Mask feature in the adjustment brush panel and increase the Feather. Personally I think its the Auto Mask feature.

Pickup your Photography Tshirt today
More
3 years 7 months ago #4537 by jerry
The noise can possibly be coming from to much editing. If you are editing a JPEG that is not properly exposed to much editing will add noise.

More
3 years 7 months ago #4538 by The Grease Man

jerry wrote: The noise can possibly be coming from to much editing. If you are editing a JPEG that is not properly exposed to much editing will add noise.

image was shot in RAW & only adjustments i changed were exposure, shadows & clarity...the more & more i painted the area, the less & less "pepper" showed...i got it much better, but far from perfect...the photo isnt for any "real" use, so a little imperfections wont hurt

More
3 years 7 months ago #4545 by Gregory Cazillo
You dodged the flag? How underexposed was it? Anything more than a stop of adjustment you will probably get noise.

More
3 years 7 months ago #4548 by jerry
Thanks for clarifying Greg, thats what I was trying to say.