Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Screen and Printer

Screen and Printer 3 years 4 months ago #4577

Good afternoon all! This is my very first post. I am a newer photographer and am putting my physical portfolio together. I have adjusted my screen but when I print the image out it still seems darker than I'd ideally want. Would a Colour Munki or Spyder screen calibration rectify this? Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Screen and Printer 3 years 4 months ago #4580

• Luke
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
When you say you adjusted your screen, how did you do this? Also is it a home printer or a professional lab that is producing the prints?

I found a big difference after I bought my spyder, not so much in terms of the colours but more in the brightness levels.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Screen and Printer 3 years 4 months ago #4584

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
It will to a point, however your prints are always going to be darker. Your monitor is a back lit display and your print is reflective light.

They also both use different colors to make the image.

Your monitor uses Red, Green and Blue. White being all three colors of light. Black being the absence of light.

Your printer uses Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black. White being the absence of ink. Black being a dark black ink, or a mixture of all four.

While they can come close to reproducing each other, it's always going to be a little different.

Screen and Printer 3 years 4 months ago #4589

Yes, it is home printer(hp 8600) which I quite like producing my images for the portfolio. I have a newer 27" Samsung monitor where I had taken down the brightness to a level I thought was okay. I guess moving forward, should I feel more confident with the lab that I will be dealing with for the final images?

Screen and Printer 3 years 4 months ago #4590

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
The main thing with the lab, is you are getting prints on photoreactive paper, witch will keep the Red, Green, Blue colors. Or they can use an ink printer with 10 colors. These 10 color printers are VERY close to being able to reproduce RGB.

Your four color CMYK printer isn't going to be capable of printing professional quality prints. and honestly my photo lab is really cost effective. Just have to wait for the mail.

I've known and used this guy for a while.

Blue Cube
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dale Brown

Screen and Printer 3 years 4 months ago #4592

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I would say if your printing at home, print out a test photo..say 8x10 and compare it to your monitor. Then either adjust your monitor or printer, then print again and again and again, till your monitor matches your print. I also try to work on my photos in low light at night so i can see color better. I always try to edit in the same lighting environment. Especially if its a paid shoot (which doesn't happen often)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dale Brown

Screen and Printer 3 years 2 months ago #4900

I say yes to the munki. I have the display calibrator and it works perfect with the lab I work with. However, when I print at home (as mentioned above) they print almost 3x darker and the colors are slightly off. Using the Munki it will create custom settings for your printer and screen so they will be very close.

How does it do it? It does a calibration of your screen, and then you print out a test sheet. You then "scan" with the munki the printed sheet. It will take those readings and compare it to your screen readings and match them as closely as possible. If you do a lot of printing at home I believe it would be worth the money.

Screen and Printer 3 years 2 months ago #4921

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I know it will take some ink, but take that printed version, and try to match your monitor to that. Also time of day, lighting all effectto some point how colors look on screen.. I try to do all my important edits in the same lighting which is at night with a low luminance bulb.