Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: new LR4 import becasue can't match question marks.

new LR4 import becasue can't match question marks. 3 years 3 months ago #4716

Fed up with trying to find links to question mark photos, I decided to copy all the photographs to another drive. I am new to L4 so I have not done a great deal of work yet. I have new external drives and I am ready to label one working, another backup, and a final "Safety".

Presently I have 20k photo files. They reside on the new "working" drive. They are in folders by date as well as by topic. Now I want to import in a catalog. I need advice about whether I should import them with any dates. I think I should import them with the dates they have by not letting L4 name them...whad you think?

When I get this straightened out, I will export all the photos through L4 to the "Backup" and then again tot he "safety" drive.

Any advice would be appreciated. This problem arose because of my traveling with a Passport drive that started to act up but it was also aggravated by a tempermental usb port!
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Jim Sterne. Reason: to make subjct line clearer
The administrator has disabled public write access.

new LR4 import becasue can't match question marks. 3 years 3 months ago #4717

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Im not sure what your question is. Can you give us more info as to what you are trying to accomplish? Im not sure if your asking about the question marks or backing up your files or both.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

new LR4 import becasue can't match question marks. 3 years 3 months ago #4724

I have 20k photos on a bad drive. 5k of them have question marks in LR because somehow their LR extension was stripped off. This makes it impossible to relink.
I have copied all the files from the problematic external drive to new external drive. Therefore, they all have no LR information or extension, but they do have dates that my Nikon added and many have names that I added.
I want to start a new catalog by importing the photos into a new catalog. How do I import without loosing their names and dates and without adding more information like today’s date on them.
Sorry I did not make this clearer in my original post.
When I am done with the above import (should I live through this), I want to back up the photos on another drive for safety. How do I make sure ALL the photo files will be included along with any LR settings I added?
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Jim Sterne. Reason: make sure I get email reply

new LR4 import becasue can't match question marks. 3 years 3 months ago #4726

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
OK gotcha. There is an easier solution. Right click the folders (or files) in question. There should be an option to "find this folder (or files)." Locate the folder or files in your new hard drive. All the xmp info will remain the same. All your adjustments will stay the same. There is no need to reimport.

I do this all the time. Edit what I have on my main drive. Move it to an external drive. Months down the road I want to revisit the photos. I use the step above and all is well.

As for keeping all of your settings with the back up files. You can also back up your catalog info. So say I create a catalog for June. I move it to my hard drive. If I want to revisit it, I can open the catalog file. As I say in all my posts, this works for me. I'm sure others have better methods to back up their files and catalogs.

new LR4 import becasue can't match question marks. 3 years 3 months ago #4727

Ok--I sure hoe it works as easily as you describe. Thanks.

new LR4 import becasue can't match question marks. 3 years 3 months ago #4728

OK—I switched the link to the new drive. Now I seem to be where I was but on another drive. Some photos have question marks. When I select a folder to link I get the Dbox “The selected folder or one of its subfolders is already in lightroom. Do you want to combine these folders” . Should I combine? I seem to remember that this is how my problem began.
The next problem concerns NEF files that are in folders but are not to be seen at all in lightroom. These I believe are the 5000 that I mentioned earlier that do not have a LR extension that I believe is added when importing. This was the reason I was going to import all the photos and start anew. How do I get these photos to register in the catalog!

new LR4 import becasue can't match question marks 3 years 3 months ago #4729

In Short: I have transferred the same problems to the new drive--but thanks gods the new drive seems reliable so far. So essentially I have NEF files in folders. The folders register but the some NEFs are not registered because I think the LR extension is gone.
Then there is the problem with those photos that continue tohave a question mark. I search for the folder and select the large folder with all the subfolders but get the Dbox that asks if I want to combine.
If this makes me any crazier I will really be crazy.

new LR4 import becasue can't match question marks. 3 years 3 months ago #4730

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
If the photos (NEF files) were already imported to lightroom, the catalog will have the information. So you should be able to locate all the missing files. You can also "sync" the folder (right click, sync folder) and LR will import any new additions in that specific folder. So say I merged two folders. Some files will be missing in LR. I can "sync" the folder and LR will import those missing files. If Im not mistaken though, you will lose the xmp info. So for those missing NEF files, this would be the solution and it saves you from starting new with all of your files.

As for the combine feature. I personally like to have control over what is imported and how it is categorized, so I will go folder to folder (locating the folder, syncing, etc) instead of grouping them under one master folder. If the folder is already in LR, you can find that folder in your catalog and use the find lost folder or sync folder features. I hope Im making sense. It took me a few weeks figuring this stuff out through countless internet searches.

new LR4 import becasue can't match question marks. 3 years 3 months ago #4731

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
I would find a "not-so-important" folder that you can test with (or create a dummy folder) and see if it gives you the desired effect. If it works, great move on the your next folder, if not...we keep searching for the answer :)

new LR4 import becasue can't match question marks. 3 years 3 months ago #4732

So I am not the only one who has had this problem--thanks gods--it is making me crazy. I don't think I can stomach and more tonight--will try your fix tomorrow--or late tonight.

new LR4 import becasue can't match question marks. 3 years 3 months ago #4733

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
Hope it works for you. I would rather spend to extra day or 2 to get all files where they should be then to start all over. Especially when your looking at 5k files.

new LR4 import becasue can't match question marks. 3 years 3 months ago #4742

I am glad I took your advice and did not import my whole catalog. I only have the 5k in folders to worry about. You might be interested in the response below from Adobe's LR blog:

"If the photos are displayed as thumbnails but they have a question mark on the frame, and when you display them in the Develop Module you get the message "image missing or offline" then Lr still has them in its catalog and you have to re-link the images instead of re-importing.

But if the photos don't show in Lr at all, and a search for missing images ( >Library >Find all Missing Images) does not turn them up, then re-importing would be the correct thing.

The easiest way to "restore the folders" (which would avoid that you had to search for the images in the Import Dialog) would be to right-click the folder in the folders panel in Library and select <Synchronize Folder>.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply visit the message page: [forums.adobe.com/message/5575597#5575597]
  • Page: