Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

TIFF or DNG for post processing

More
3 years 7 months ago #4766 by Allen Tuff
Hi

I recently exported some JPEGS as TIFF's and the files produced some were 100mb +. Question is are these large files better for editing than the original jpegs. I'm aware that they will be processed a little slower because of their size, do they have more information than the original jpeg?

I normally only shoot raw, just had a few jpegs for processing.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #4769 by Bill
your not going to be adding any new information to the file by converting it to a TIFF you already lost the information when you converted it originally. The benefit comes in when saving the edited file. If you keep saving as a JPEG you loose more and more data. By converting to a TIFF and then saving it you don't loose any more data.

-Bill

Pickup your Photography Tshirt today
More
3 years 7 months ago #4770 by Allen Tuff
Why do 15mb jpegs turn into 100mb tiffs?

More
3 years 7 months ago #4775 by Dave Clarke
If you didn't already, you could try (when saving anything to TIFF) using LZW TIFF compression, there usually will be an option, this makes the file size smaller.

More
3 years 6 months ago #4806 by Allen Tuff
Thanks for the feedback Cazillions, still wondering why the conversion from jpeg to tiff increases the size so much?