Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why Lightroom?

Why Lightroom? 3 years 1 month ago #5141

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I've been using Bridge + ACR. I wanted to start using lightroom but see no point because i seems like just a skinned version of Bridge + ACR.

what's your take?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Why Lightroom? 3 years 1 month ago #5142

• Jim St Croix
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Why Lightroom? 3 years 1 month ago #5148

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Are you on pc or mac? Lightroom is just better workflow, it is all done in one software as compared to Adobe, which you do metadata in bridge and then editing in photoshop or ACD.

I for one do not like working in lightroom, i don't like the develop module and the slideshow part kinda sucks.

I prefer to use aperture 3 (on mac) The user interface seems to be easier, a great slidshow maaker. You can do the same workflow as you can in lightroom. i guess I'm getting of the subject here, but lightroom is just a better workflow. I don't use it, I have Aperture and Photoshop.

Why Lightroom? 3 years 1 month ago #5151

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
I don't use Lightroom but I admit that it has a nicer user interface and is easier and more seamless to use as opposed to Camera Raw.

I tried the free Beta version of Lightroom 5 back in June and found it was much easier to use for editing lots of photos at once compared with ACR. The reason I don't have it however is because I don't tend to edit lots of photos at once and Camera Raw therefore works just fine for me.

Also, I've moved this topic into the correct location. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Conor Casey.

Why Lightroom? 3 years 1 month ago #5159

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
Exactly lightroom and aperture are better if you have alot to edit, and the good points of both is that you can tell either software to open a photo in photoshop, do some editing (I don't know how lightroom handles it, but with aperture, as soon as you tell it to open a photo in photoshop, it automatically creates a new version)

Why Lightroom? 3 years 1 month ago #5160

• Luke
  • Senior Boarder
jerry wrote:
Exactly lightroom and aperture are better if you have alot to edit, and the good points of both is that you can tell either software to open a photo in photoshop, do some editing (I don't know how lightroom handles it, but with aperture, as soon as you tell it to open a photo in photoshop, it automatically creates a new version)

When you tell Lightroom to open a file in Photoshop it will ask you do you want to edit original or edit a copy.

I like Lightroom because it combines what I did most in Photoshop raw and bridge nicely into one program. I find it covers the majority of my editing needs with 90% of my photos not needing the use of some of the tools in Photoshop.

Why Lightroom? 3 years 1 month ago #5161

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Luke Sheehan wrote:
I like Lightroom because it combines what I did most in Photoshop raw and bridge nicely into one program. I find it covers the majority of my editing needs with 90% of my photos not needing the use of some of the tools in Photoshop.
I think most people would agree with you Luke, which is why fewer and fewer photographers are using PS these days. I think one day Lightroom will be all most photographers will ever need.

One thing that I would miss if I used only LR is the ability to blend exposures; something which I still have to go into main PS to do. :( I think in the next couple of incarnations of LR, this is a feature that will be added.

I was well impressed with LR5's ability to straighten photos automatically so I think it'll only get better from here.
Conor Casey
Flickr

Why Lightroom? 3 years 1 month ago #5163

• Luke
  • Senior Boarder
Lightroom doesn’t give you much for merging multiple shots (or anything??). I mostly find myself going to Photoshop when I want more precise local adjustments; I find it much better in Photoshop when using adjustment layers and layer masks. I don’t think Photoshop is going away anytime soon, it is still a very powerful tool but Lightroom happens to be my first port of call for editing.

PS, there is no right way or wrong way for doing this, ie lightroom vs Photoshop. just find what works for you and go with that. Some people say my file system is cumbersome but it works for me.
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Luke.

Why Lightroom? 3 years 1 month ago #5164

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
Theres an awesome new feature in photoshop CC RAW which took one of my photos that was bent in on both the left and right and not even close to level and with one click, fixed everything, just thought I would toss that in there ;).

Why Lightroom? 3 years 1 month ago #5189

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
Hey thanks for the feedback. Maybe you've inspired me to break the routine and use lightroom. I'm on pc so no aperture, but i rezpect that program. I'm just so used to bouncing photos between bridge it seems natural.

Lol Jerry, yeah its a neat feature when it works

Luke I'm not comparing lightroom to PS, they are for entirely different things. I tend to use PS mostly when I need
- pen pressure, tilt and rotation detection
- clone stamp
- blending
- liquify
- complex masking
- HDR
- Panorama
- effects like blurs etc
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Brent Ross.

Why Lightroom? 3 years 1 month ago #5223

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
Thats probably the only thing i don't like about adobe, the workflow, which software I used is determined by how many photos I have. I like Adobe Camera RAW's user interface, well, because I'm more use to it.

Why Lightroom? 3 years 1 month ago #5227

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
I understand why it exists the way it is. bridge+ACR+PS makes it possible for each program specialize at a job. Bridge as an organizing intermediate, ACR for raw editing and PS for image editing. It also works as other combos as well making it very versatile ei. Bridge+ACR+AE

I think Lightroom tries to wrap all the feature photographers care about into 1 program. It is sort of annoying when im only doing light touch-ups, I have to launch photoshop's image processor to convert to sRGB with proper web friendly resolutions. Someone like me doesnt mind because i'm used to it. But somebody jumping into it would get very confused by all the bouncing around.
  • Page: