Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Basic File Storage and Backup

Basic File Storage and Backup 2 years 11 months ago #5363

I'm a relative new user of LR5. I have been using an external hd to store photo files. And another one for backup. I spent a fair amount of time organizing my photos this yr in LR. In the primary drive, all the files were just dumped on the hd...all indiv. photo files. I did a backup onto my backup hd. All the folders are there, and files in the folders. But when I opened LR, and used the backup hd, only a few photos are being shown in LR. When I use the primary hd, all the files in no folders, all the files are visible and workable.

I've looked at a ton of videos, yours Greg, and Adobe's, on file management, but haven't found out why the files were stored without the folders, and why with the backup hd won't load the photos. I haven't backed up in awhile now as I just don't know the files setup workings.

I hope this made sense ;)

Thanks
Chris
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Basic File Storage and Backup 2 years 11 months ago #5365

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
From what I am reading you are trying to look at images inside of lightroom that are on your drives correct? That will not work (I guess it could work if connect the external to the puter before launching lighroom), you have to physically import your images into lightroom and lightroom will build a library of those images.

Or if you imported your images into lightroom then moved the originals to the externals, its probably a linking issue, lightroom cannot find the originals.

I would try putting the originals on your desktop or a photo folder that will not get disturbed or deleted, then import those images into lightroom.
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by jerry.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Basic File Storage and Backup 2 years 11 months ago #5366

I'm not quite understanding how your files are setup, can you post a couple of screenshots?

Lightroom cannot use your two drives interchangeably, they are two separate drives. You should be using another program for your image backups, NOT lr. Personally I wouldn't load the backup drive into lr unless you had a catastrophic failure of the primary drive.

Your folders in lr are a mirror of the finder/explorer view, so if they are all in one folder or the root folder of the drive that will be the same in lr. IMO you should always be moving files around inside of lr, not with finder/explorer.

Basic File Storage and Backup 2 years 11 months ago #5367

Better to show I hope. First is a LR screenshot showing all the folders made (in LR) on FW1. But above that is FW2, my b/up. Which only shows 33 photos.i Pic 2 s of FW1, and you see all the files directly on the c: drive, as well as in the Pictures folder. A real mess...but totally organized and available in LR. I'd like drive FW1 to look like drive FW2. Pic 3 is a screenshot of FW2 using finder, that shows all the photo's in the right folder.
(and yes, I plan on dedicating a hd for the b/up drive)

Thanks for the help Greg and Jerry!

Chris

ScreenShot2013-12-17at5.17.35PM.jpg

screenshot6.jpg
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Chris Glanton.

Basic File Storage and Backup 2 years 11 months ago #5369

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
Sorry, But I am totally lost. Perhaps this will give you some ideas. This could get a bit lengthy so bare with me. This is my process:
After shooting, i'll put them in a folder on the desktop and keep them on the memory card (as a back up for now). I will then go through and delete photos I don't want, once that is done I will open Adobe Bridge or Aperture 3 and batch rename them (give them a specific file name, if i'm doing portraits for some one, i'll use the last name and 3 digits as the new file name. Then once that is done I will go ahead and create my backups to my external drives, I have 3 of which one is in a fireproof safe.

Aperture works pretty much the same as Lightroom so you know.
Next, with the photos that i put in a folder on the desktop, i'll either leave them there or move them to a photo folder located elsewhere on the hard drive. Then import those photos to aperture. As long as I don't move the folder, my images will always be linked. If I have to move them, then aperture will show they are missing and I have to physically relink them but directing aperture to the current location of those photos.

Fianlly after working on the images in aperture, i'll create a exported library that way if something goes wrong, i can re-import that library with all the edits I did before I exported that library.
The only way I use photos on the external drive is for viewing, if i want to work on something or a batch of images, i'll put them in a folder again on the computers hard drive.

Externals are basically for storage, they really don't have the necessary hardware for processing.

Greg may have a different way he does his backups and workflow, and i spose everyone here has a workflow.

Basic File Storage and Backup 2 years 11 months ago #5370

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
So you imported to lightroom, organized, processed the images, then transferred the files to your external drive. Now those files are "missing" in LR? I think thats what were getting at here. Please correct me if Im wrong.

If youve moved your files/photos outside of LR, using explorer to move files from one drive to another, LR considers those files "missing" because it doesnt know where to look. Simple solution, open LR, right click the "missing" folder and select "update folder location." You should be able to find the folder on your secondary drive ant LR will re-write the path. If the folder is still on your main drive, LR will only "lose" the files that have been moved, in which case, you will need to right click the individual images and find the "missing" files.

Like Jerry said, we all have our methods for backing up our files. Im sure Greg can get more into detail on different methods to backing up file. Here is my process.

- Do you normal imports, organizing, and edits.
- Once youre done with the files (meaning you dont need to edit them or wont touch them for some time), got to your Library Module. You can then drag and drop the folder from your main drive to your secondary drive WITHIN LR (like you would if using Explorer.)
- LR will then transfer the files for you while keeping the paths (and edits) intact. BOOM! Done. No need to "Find" missing files or folders. No need to re-import.

Keep in mind, the only thing Im doing is moving them from one location to another and still being to access them within LR. This process works for me. Here is another thread from this forum. Skim through it and see if any the info helps.

cazillo.com/c/forum/10-lightroom/2811-ne...imitstart=0&start=12

Please let us know if we are answering your question. If not, we keep searching! Please provide as much information as possible as to what the issue is and what it is you are trying to accomplish.

Basic File Storage and Backup 2 years 11 months ago #5375

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
So I guess the bottom line is do not use your external drives to import to lightroom, put them on the drive that lightroom is using, don't move them and leave them there till you are finished.

Your backup drives should be used for just that, backing up, not for the source folders for lightroom. Once you are done, export your library or whatever into one external drive, then take the folder from that drive and copy it to the other one, that way file names and everything will be the same.

Hopefully 1 of us or all of us were able to shed some light.

Basic File Storage and Backup 2 years 11 months ago #5376

1. don't import photos into lr from the backup drive.
2. use a secondary program to back them up to the backup drive
3. move photos between drives with lr, not finder/explorer

This happens to many people when they move photos around outside of lightroom. I'll help you get it figured out over skype if we can record it to post on youtube.

Basic File Storage and Backup 2 years 11 months ago #5377

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
oh a chance for your 15 seconds of fame as they say, go for it...lol

Basic File Storage and Backup 2 years 11 months ago #5379

jerry wrote:
Sorry, But I am totally lost. Perhaps this will give you some ideas. This could get a bit lengthy so bare with me. This is my process:
After shooting, i'll put them in a folder on the desktop and keep them on the memory card (as a back up for now). I will then go through and delete photos I don't want, once that is done I will open Adobe Bridge or Aperture 3 and batch rename them (give them a specific file name, if i'm doing portraits for some one, i'll use the last name and 3 digits as the new file name. Then once that is done I will go ahead and create my backups to my external drives, I have 3 of which one is in a fireproof safe.

Aperture works pretty much the same as Lightroom so you know.
Next, with the photos that i put in a folder on the desktop, i'll either leave them there or move them to a photo folder located elsewhere on the hard drive. Then import those photos to aperture. As long as I don't move the folder, my images will always be linked. If I have to move them, then aperture will show they are missing and I have to physically relink them but directing aperture to the current location of those photos.

Fianlly after working on the images in aperture, i'll create a exported library that way if something goes wrong, i can re-import that library with all the edits I did before I exported that library.
The only way I use photos on the external drive is for viewing, if i want to work on something or a batch of images, i'll put them in a folder again on the computers hard drive.

Externals are basically for storage, they really don't have the necessary hardware for processing.

Greg may have a different way he does his backups and workflow, and i spose everyone here has a workflow.

I have a small SS hd on my laptop, so I imported them all to the ext hd c: All Pictures. I now partly figured it out. All the folders I setup in LR for all my DSLR pictures. I had been using just iPhoto before, so after organizing all my DSLR images, I imported the iPhoto library which needs to be edited still, but it's these images that were all over the c drive. I'm playing around now to import them into my c: All pictures, and then I should be able to drag and drop them all into the appropriate folder.

I also partly figured out the FW2. I;m using the import of FW1 to FW2 now, but it's not putting them in the folders that I created in LR FW1. Just dumping all into FW2 c: All Pictures. How do I keep the folder in FW2 too?

I'm ohhhh so close I think ;)
Thanks Everyone!!
Chris

Edit: Darn! Not only did it not make the folders, but it shows 1.8tb (same as FW1), but only shows like 100 photos in LR. Plus, all the folders and files are there in FW2 c: All Pictures...but not in LR...yet shows the 1.8tb. I thought I was so close too
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Chris Glanton. Reason: I was wrong...

Basic File Storage and Backup 2 years 11 months ago #5380

Sure Greg, if it'd would help other beginners with data management confusion. Just let me know and we can skype.

Basic File Storage and Backup 2 years 11 months ago #5382

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
just do your backup to the first drive, then manually drag and drop from fw1 to fw2. Hopefully you can do a video, i'd be interested to see whats going on.
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by jerry.
  • Page: