Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: ProPhoto RGB color space

ProPhoto RGB color space 3 years 4 weeks ago #5253

Is there any advantage to setting the color space in PhotoShop to ProPhoto RGB If my camera color space is set to Adobe RGB? My understanding is ProPhoto RGB has a larger gammet of colors but my D7000 does not have this setting, only sRGB and Adobe RGB. I always shoot RAW but does this mean ProPhoto RGB offers me any advantage?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ProPhoto RGB color space 3 years 3 weeks ago #5256

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Lostraglio
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

ProPhoto RGB color space 3 years 3 weeks ago #5257

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Your camera shoots raw. there is no colourspace baked in. that means you can assign it to any colourspace you want in post.

Why use prophoto? It has the largest colourspace and lets you make use if your panels full native gamut. My monitor supports some colours outside of even aRGB.

Why use it if you are the only one that can see it? It lets you make your edits with perfect precision. Then you can proof for sRGB and print and etc etc. with ease. Its much more difficult to start with a smal gamut, and make it work for a larger or different one
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregory Cazillo

ProPhoto RGB color space 3 years 3 weeks ago #5258

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
also gregs video is awesome
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregory Cazillo, Mike Lostraglio

ProPhoto RGB color space 3 years 3 weeks ago #5260

Thanks guys! That cleared things up a lot! I've been banging my head on the wall trying to understand this.
I think the confusing part for me was the color space setting in my camera. I suppose they are there for those who wish to shoot Jpeg.
I have been pretty much using Lightroom exclusively for my editing. I am just now diving into learning how to use Photoshop.....its quite a bit more complicated! Anyway, thanks for helping me out.

ProPhoto RGB color space 3 years 3 weeks ago #5270

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi Mike!

Lightroom is a great tool for your photoeditting. And the color space comes in handy when you will print your images professional.

Adobe Photoshop is a complicated package and will only work properly for your photography if you spend a lot of time on one image. In my opinion, Photoshop is ment for 1 or 2 images, when editting a bulk like a party, wedding or even a Photoshoot, Lightroom is your package.

And very nice that you have got it now ;)

Greetings,
Roy