Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: ISO and noise help

ISO and noise help 2 years 11 months ago #5387

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I understand how high ISO induces noise. But I want to understand something better. When I view images at 100% in photoshop, I am looking at actual pixel size right? This shot was taken at ISO 400 or 800, can't remember, but as you can see, the noise isn't as bad. I did not use flash, I wanted to see what I can do with my 50mm at f1.8 and had to use higher ISO's.

But everything I view images at 100% size, I can really see the noise but when I select fit on screen, there is very little or should i say less noticable.

So my question is, when I get something printed, will I get alot of noise showing or will I get very little like when i fit in view? even when I select view print size, the noise is bad.

I am using photoshop. So how do I handle this noise, I never know if there will be alot or less. Sorry if this is confusing. Yes i do some noise reduction if getting something printed.

finger dancing by jerryfictum, on Flickr
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by jerry.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ISO and noise help 2 years 11 months ago #5390

For this image I wouldn't worry about noise. In fact, I rarely care about it at all. When you shoot get the proper exposure and everything will look as good as it can.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jerry
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

ISO and noise help 2 years 11 months ago #5394

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Agree with Greg, proper exposure is more important than avoiding noise

Also, at ISO 400 or 800 it doesn't look like noise as much as it looks like grain. Grain isnt so bad, still looks appealing to look at.

I know you usually use aperture and I am unfamiliar with it. But you mention that you use photoshop. That being said, open the images through bridge into camera raw first. you'll have very nice tools for fighting noise in there. lynda.com can be a good resource for learning camera raw. they have a good course

ISO and noise help 2 years 11 months ago #5395

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
I am very aware of Camera RAW, I use it all the time. I only use Bridge when I am adding metadata and batch renaming images. I usually use preview for quick viewing. but thanks

ISO and noise help 2 years 11 months ago #5396

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
Here is a screen shot, from Camera RAW, with it viewed at 100% and you can see all my settings. Should I have used flash, yes, but I wanted to see what my 50mm can do. As you can see here, at ISO 800 there is a good amount of noise. I always worry that if I see it on my screen, I'm going to see it on my prints. You will have to click on the photo to make it larger, then you'll see the noise. Yes I increased my exposure and black point so I know that also contributed, but even when i take a shot at ISO 200 and get correct exposure, noise is visible at 100%.

So basically if i take a shot at high ISO and get the correct exposure, I really should worry bout what the noise looks like at 100%?

finger playing 2 by jerryfictum, on Flickr

ISO and noise help 2 years 11 months ago #5404

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
Noise only takes away from the image when it is not monochromatic (green/magenta noise)or when it starts to band. ISO 800 is so acceptable. I'd even trust a canon 60d to shoot at ISO 800 and that camera is shit when it comes to noise.

why dont you do a test print? I'm pretty sure it wont look bad. I've had to shoot at ISO 2000 and the client was satisfied. There are many instances where flash is unacceptable, and this is a good no flash image

ISO and noise help 2 years 11 months ago #5405

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
I will take a test print when the printer gets hooked up again, have some remodeling going on right now

ISO and noise help 2 years 11 months ago #5406

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
meee tooo. the sewer backed up into my office. mhmmmmm

ISO and noise help 2 years 11 months ago #5407

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
oh, bet that smells nice :dry:

ISO and noise help 2 years 11 months ago #5408

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
You are experiencing the same problem as i am with my Canon's ;)....

I always add my Noise Reduction in Lightroom.. maybe you have such an option in Camera RAW too...

I am starting to learn to not bother the noise that comes of my 60D... and that camera is really shit in noise performance.

Greetings,
Roy

ISO and noise help 2 years 11 months ago #5409

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
I use topaz plug-in for noise reduction, does a great job

ISO and noise help 2 years 11 months ago #5446

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Embrace the noise!!

I don't know, some of the best photos I've seen are plagued by 1600ish 35mm grain.

-Ken Marcus
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Erik Ballew.
  • Page: