Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Shadows and Highlights?

Shadows and Highlights? 2 years 7 months ago #5889

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I mostly use Photoshop CC for editing. My question is and I really don't know that there is a true answer other than "what looks good to you", but is there a way to set a proper amount of shadows and highlights. I always go with what look good, but sometimes my eyes deceive me.

I find shadows by holding down the option key and adjusting the "blacks" slider to find shadows or reduce them. The same step is used with whites, but I usually don't know if its to much or not enough.

I Usually just adjust blacks until some black dots show up on the screen as I move the blacks slider to the left and the same idea is used for Whites.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Shadows and Highlights? 2 years 7 months ago #5891

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I use 1st page of ACR to get all the data I want into the 0-100% on the histogram. The first window of ACR is your starting point, Getting that mess of raw data behaving inside your 0-100%. then I use the tone curve if i need to crush portions of the histogram.

You shouldnt be crushing your blacks with the black point slider. you should be choosing what the darkest pixel will be. its really just for stretching or squeezing your histogram into the 0-100%.

After you flatten your image with the first page of ACR you can make localized contrast, etc adjustments, and play with the tone curve for crushing areas of the histogram.

Get everything exposure-wise perfect before you pass it on to photoshop as it becomes pixel based at that point and you are much more limited with your edits.
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Brent Ross.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Shadows and Highlights? 2 years 7 months ago #5892

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Generally, I like to work my highlights so they arent overbearing. The opposite can be said for shadows. I like to see the details in the shadows but at the same time, I dont want my image to look flat. If needed, I will use an adjustment brush to fine tune a problem area.

My starting points are: -30 for highlights, +10 for shadows, then adjust as needed. It really does come down to style preference. For landscapes with heavy contrast, I will bring highlights all the way down and open my shadows to max. For portraits, i stay close to my starting points.

Shadows and Highlights? 2 years 7 months ago #5894

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
there is no art style magic to white point, black point, highlight restoration, or shadow lifting. It's just about data, and how much of it you want for the next step.

Shadows and Highlights? 2 years 7 months ago #5903

Image processing is a 'season to taste' thing IMO. If you want more contrast, different color etc you can make it happen. Problem is that people go too far on many images that don't need the extra work or don't have the subject matter to fit the creative flare.