Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: This PPI thing

This PPI thing 11 months 1 week ago #6523

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Yes, I am one of those that need to re-learn this 300 ppi thing. In Camera RAW preferences, should I just leave the resolution set to 72? I am one of those that always have it at 300. Then in photoshop image size box, do i leave everything as is in the "fit to" box?

Then in the image size box i set my size to 8x10 and the dimensions are 576 px x 720 px. Is that good enough for print quality?

Thanks
Last Edit: 11 months 1 week ago by jerry.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

This PPI thing 11 months 1 week ago #6524

Don't worry about the PPI. You have to type something in the box, leave it at 300 if it makes you feel better ;-). What DOES MATTER is the image sizing box. If you leave resize unchecked that will be fine for printing because the file will stay the same size as the original, minus any cropping.

There is an easy way when you are exporting your own files. If you are sending them out for print leave the size as is, don't change it. Choose sRGB color space and 8bit. If your printing company supports Adobe98 then you can use that color profile instead. You only need to use 16 bit if exporting to Photoshop and you are going to be doing a lot of editing to the file.

Flickr: 1000px on the long side, 75% compression sRGB jpeg
Other web or email: 600px on long side, 75% compression sRGB jpeg

Remember: resolution doesn't matter...pixel dimensions matter!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today