Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Computer help

Computer help 3 years 10 months ago #2906

• Ryan
  • Fresh Boarder
I just had a Dell Inspiron 530 given to me. These are its specs:

Intel Pentium dual CPU e2200 @ 2.20 GHZ
memory 2g (expandable to 4g)
System type: 32 bit OS

It looks like it has about a 300G HD in the C: drive
and a 16g recover drive D: and it's running Windows Vista.

Is there anything I can do to help speed it up, and avoid buying a new computer?

It runs pretty good for what it is, but I am going to be hopefully soon making the dive into Lightroom, so I want it to be as fast as possible.

I currently only use ViewNX2 since it came with my camera, and there is about a 5-10 second delay when I adjust exposure, and white balance. If it lags with my current program, I can only assume it will be worse with LR.

Im completely ignorant when it comes to computers, so I could use all the information and help I can get.

Thanks!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Computer help 3 years 10 months ago #2908

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Without upgrading to a new system the best option for you is to add more memory. The most you can add to that system is 2GB. Because it's running 32bit operating system the most memory you can have on the system is a total of 4GB. You also have the option of upgrading to a 64 bit OS which would allow you to add more memory.

Enter you service tag on the dell support page and you can find out the original configuration of the system was and use that information to purchase additional memory.

www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=us&s=dhs&cs=19&l=en

If you have issues determining what you need PM your service tag number and I'll see what I can find out for you. Please do not publicly list your service tag.

-Bill
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Bill.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Computer help 3 years 10 months ago #2910

• Ryan
  • Fresh Boarder
I am currently at work, so I cant look up the service tag now, but I did look it up the other day, and it is all jibberish to me...

How do I know if my computer is even able to support 64 bit? If it is, is it difficult to upgrade to a 64 bit OS?

Computer help 3 years 10 months ago #2915

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
If you are finding it slow or expect to find it slow when using Lightroom, adding more RAM will help. As far as I can see, that is the best thing you can do. Although now I read Bill's comment again, you have to be running a 64 bit OS to use more than 4GB's of RAM. It is a pity, the processor can't really be upgraded, or upgraded cheaply. An Intel Pentium dual CPU e2200 @ 2.20 GHZ is fine for everyday work, internet, word documents etc but I think it will struggle with heavy editing. This of course depends on how much editing you intend on doing though. It will run View NX fine, but Lightroom, I am not so sure. An i3 at the very least is needed I would say and an i5 would be ideal...

If you are in a position to return it and get a better machine, I would. And I know it is a pain, but digital photography is what it is and the computer is as every much a part of the process as the SLR and lens IMO. If not, give it a go and see, it might be okay - I am no computer whiz.
Conor Casey
Flickr

Computer help 3 years 10 months ago #2917

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
It runs fine on my Core 2 quad. I know you have a bit for a processor limitation, but Vista is also and memory hog. You may have a better time if you max out the ram, I see you max out at 4 gig, and upgrade to windows 7 or 8 to get more out of your memory.

Also I'm not too sure why Dell put 32 bit operating system on that CPU since it is a 64 bit CPU.

Regardless Photoshop and Lightroom will run. But maybe not at the same time, and you may have some slow downs during saving and adjustments loading, but it will work, even if you don't upgrade anything.

ark.intel.com/products/33925/Intel-Penti...2_20-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

Anyway that is my $.02

Computer help 3 years 10 months ago #2920

I would suggest adding ram first, which will help with multitasking (not overall speed) and then consider buying an SSD & installing windows 7. I gained a lot of speed (lower boot times, faster program launch, faster document opening) when I installed an SSD.

Computer help 3 years 10 months ago #2921

• dave seymour
  • Senior Boarder
  • canon all the way..
  • Thank you received: 2
being a computer geek heres what i would do

1. max out the ram
2. install windows xp / 7 ( everybody knows somebody who has a (free) copy of windows :) shhhhhhh.
3. keep all your media on a external hard drive
It might not be the fastest machine out there but it doesnt matter, use it, enjoy it.
7D. 24-105L.
50mm f1.8
100-400 f4.5.6 IS
430exii.

Computer help 3 years 10 months ago #2923

• Ryan
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for all the responses!
I think I will be attempting to add RAM to the computer. I will just have to figure out what type it takes, but I'm sure any store could assist me with that.

Unfortunately I do not know anyone with Windows 7. So for now, Ill have to make due with Vista until I can find someone who will let me "borrow" their Windows 7 disk.

Currently, the only thing I did was a complete system reboot to reformat the computer to how it was when it was taken out of the box. The only programs I installed are the ViewNX, and McAfee Security Suite. Other than that, I always keep all media, photos, music, video, etc. on an external hard drive, which I will need another of to back everything up.

Again, thanks for all the help. You guys, and ladies if applicable, are awesome!

Computer help 3 years 10 months ago #2924

• 6l6c
  • Fresh Boarder
Bump up that ram to 4gig
You can get a second harddrive (internal), Move all photo files to this drive.
Done with hardware. (Trying to keep cost down)
Other things: (Problem here is you are a user not a geek)
Disable “System Restore” (ONLY if you do regular image backups)
“Page File” Either split it between the two drives or try running the system with no page file, only after you bump that ram up to 4 gig. Running the system with no page file is not recommended by many and of course every system is different it might give you a message running out of memory or perhaps crash in the middle of something (of coarse then you know you have to run it) But I have been running my machine Vista Ultimate 4 gigs of ram for a few years now without a page file. I run LR with no problems while maybe leaving Outlook, Google Chrome, and other things running have never had a crash. Bottom line one way to find out, try it. But ONLY if you back up your data files on a regular basis.

There is really allot of things that can be done there is no perfect answer, an ssd and Win 7 and ram and a extra drive is cool but IMO at that point night as well just go for a new system.
I would try at first, bump the ram, try running without a page file and go from there. If you have a internal or external drive get your data files (photos in this case) onto that one.
John

Computer help 3 years 10 months ago #2925

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Just as an FYI you can purchase a copy of Win7 or even Win8 for around $100 or so. One thing to remember if you do upgrade to a 64 bit OS you will need to reimage the system there is no way possible to upgrade from a 32 to a 64 bit OS.