Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Creating Panoramic Photos indoor

Creating Panoramic Photos indoor 3 years 8 months ago #3754

• finntroll
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello!

I have a question about indoor panoramic shots. I have been shooting a veterinary practice lately and found that the panoramic image i tried had a bunch of major errors. I have a wide angle lens (14-24) but for a crop sensor, a single shot just wasn't wide enough.

Do you have any tips on how I can get an image stiched together without issues? Maybe it is a matter of correcting the lens distortion of each image before merging them together in PS. I also tried Hugin - those results were a little better - but far away from usable.
I tried my best to keep my tripod on the same exact geometric spot, but objects in the foreground just weren't nice.

Any advice?

Greets, Finn
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by finntroll.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Creating Panoramic Photos indoor 3 years 8 months ago #3757

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
hummmm, I've not tried an indoor panorama. What are the errors you are getting? can you post an example of what's not working and we can try to help you through the process.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Creating Panoramic Photos indoor 3 years 8 months ago #3760

• finntroll
  • Junior Boarder
this is my image

vet pract. panorama by f i n n t r o l l, on Flickr

And here if you zoom in a little bit, you see that there is geometric distortion in some specific areas. It was a lot of work to fix that in PS, so do you think there is an easier way??

error by f i n n t r o l l, on Flickr

Thanks

Creating Panoramic Photos indoor 3 years 8 months ago #3761

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
My main advise for you would be to use a less wide lens. 14mm, even on a DX camera is still pretty wide. If you are shooting panoramas, I usually find it's best to use a lens that isn't wide-angle because with wide-angle, you are getting everything in one shot where the aim with panos is to get everything in but in many different shots.

Other advise is use a steady tripod and don't move when shooting. But yeah, I think the wide-angle lens is the problem.
Conor Casey
Flickr

Creating Panoramic Photos indoor 3 years 7 months ago #3772

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
I was thinking maybe more overlap? But a narrower lens would accomplish the same thing. As far as the images you already have, try using the lens adjustment in Lightroom. It's really good at correcting images and you can do manual adjustments as well.

Creating Panoramic Photos indoor 3 years 7 months ago #3784

• finntroll
  • Junior Boarder
the panorama was taken @ 24mm with the 24-70 (total of 4 shots if I remember correctly). And I tried lens correction both in PS (auto) and Lightroom (auto and manually)

shooting 2 rows with 4 shots each using a focal lengh of about 50mm didn't make good results either (that was even worse than 24mm) :S

Creating Panoramic Photos indoor 3 years 7 months ago #3785

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
Try using enblend. Here's a link to a GUI interface that makes it easier to use.

digitalretrograde.com/projects/enblendgui/

I think I've used it the past with good success but I've not made any panoramas in a few years