Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ok, which do you prefer?

Ok, which do you prefer? 3 years 7 months ago #3974

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I asked Greg if he would do a show on Lightroom vs. Aperture 3, he pretty much stated lightroom. But what about the rest of you? Aperture 3 only runs on mac. Which brings up the age ole question, Mac or PC?

I'll take Mac period.
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by jerry. Reason: update
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ok, which do you prefer? 3 years 7 months ago #3983

• Tim Shrimpton
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Considering Aperture hasn't had a significant update in a really long time and Lightroom runs in both environments, I can't see any reason to recommend Aperture over Lightroom on anything but price.

I have a feeling that Apple is done with Aperture and will instead focus on iPhoto. I'd love for them to prove me wrong, though. No matter what your preference, competition is good for everyone, so having a significant competitor to Lightroom would only benefit the tools.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Ok, which do you prefer? 3 years 7 months ago #3984

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
there was infact a new upgrade to aperture not to long ago. But you are also correct with the fact that you never know what the future holds.

Ok, which do you prefer? 3 years 7 months ago #3986

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
I don't use either really but I have started lately to use Lightroom a bit more. Photoshop is still what I use for most of my editing. I do remember trying Aperture a while back and didn't like it at all. Lightroom for me I'm afraid.

I do like the idea of Adobe having some competition though and it would be a pity if Apple stopped making Aperture. It's a bit like Pentax cameras - I am never going to buy one, but they offer competition and keep Canon and Nikon on their toes and are therefore good news.

I am on Mac btw. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr

Ok, which do you prefer? 3 years 7 months ago #3999

• Tim Shrimpton
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
jerry wrote:
there was infact a new upgrade to aperture not to long ago. But you are also correct with the fact that you never know what the future holds.
Yeah, they've patched it here and there but the last significant update was Aperture 3, which was released more than 3 years ago in February 2010. Since then Adobe has released Lightroom 3 (June 2010), Lightroom 4 (March 2012), and at least the beta for Lightroom 5.

Of course, you can make the arguments that Adobe is too quick to jump ship to a new version, or that version numbers are relatively meaningless. I've not been a Lightroom user for a long time, but it seemed like the jump from 2->3, 3->4, and now 4->5 all carry with them some significant improvements.

I'd wait to see Apple actually release a new, full version of Aperture to bring it even somewhat in line with Lightroom, feature wise, before I'd feel comfortable spending any money on Apple's option.

Ok, which do you prefer? 3 years 7 months ago #4002

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
I guess I really don't care bout any major upgrades to aperture, I like it because you can create great slideshows and books within the program, which lightroom kinda sucks at.

I just seen that is suppose to be a Aperture 4 coming out soon. So we'll see i guess. From what I read, there are some decent updates.

Ok, which do you prefer? 3 years 7 months ago #4004

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Tim Shrimpton wrote:
I've not been a Lightroom user for a long time, but it seemed like the jump from 2->3, 3->4, and now 4->5 all carry with them some significant improvements.

I definitely agree. The move from Lightroom 2 to 3 was a big jump and then again, the move from 3 to 4 also had very significant upgrades. So, I would argue that with every version of Lightroom so far, Adobe has made important changes that certainty warrant an upgrade.

Comparing LR 4 to the beta version 5, it seems that there has been only minor changes. These changes have been useful though and I was very impressed with the new lens corrections in particular. For this alone, it is worth paying for the beta version in my opinion, even though it is of course free. We also have to remember that this is still a beta version and the full version may be up to a year away so I am sure Adobe has still got some further tricks up its sleeve for version 5 of LR.

Jerry wrote:
I guess I really don't care bout any major upgrades to aperture, I like it because you can create great slideshows and books within the program, which lightroom kinda sucks at.

I guess this is where Aperture wins and why it is still a viable option for some people. I'd still personally rather the sheer power of LR's editing compared to this though, but I can definitely see the appeal. I hope Adobe does improve this for the final version of Lightroom 5 and I would love to see an Aperture 4 released to keep Adobe on their toes.
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Conor Casey.

Ok, which do you prefer? 3 years 7 months ago #4009

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
There is supposedly an Aperture 4 coming out, the release date I guess was for April, guess its being held back