Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: suggestion for ambient light use when editing.

suggestion for ambient light use when editing. 2 years 11 months ago #5437

• Chester
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi! About 2 weeks ago, I purchased the spyder4pro calibration system. When I try to calibrate my monitor, the ambient reading is too high because I'm using a daylight fluorescent tubes in my basement. I tried to turn it off and calibrate it, reading is about 90 cd/square meter. It calibrated my monitor but I really don't want to edit photos on pitch black. Any suggestions to fix my problem. Thanks.

I'm planning to buy the Epson R2000 printer but I don't want to purchase it until I get my calibration and work station problem fix.
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Chester.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

suggestion for ambient light use when editing. 2 years 11 months ago #5438

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I try to edit in very low light that is not close to me, just enough to see a keyboard, i find i get better contrast and can see the colors better. I try to edit under the same lighting conditions all the time.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

suggestion for ambient light use when editing. 2 years 11 months ago #5439

• Chester
  • Fresh Boarder
not much i can do for the position of the lights on the basement. i really don't want to move my workstation. how about any suggestion for portable lights or floor lights that i could purchase on local store like walmart.

suggestion for ambient light use when editing. 2 years 11 months ago #5440

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I would think portable lights would be fine. I don't like having lights in back of me nor infront of me, it can throw things off some. Heck I've even used a small flashlight to light up my keyboard. I also have dimmable ceiling lights so i put that on very low just to see where i'm walking. There are plenty of options, just have to find what works for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester

suggestion for ambient light use when editing. 2 years 11 months ago #5441

Not sure what you mean by "the ambient reading is too high" can you elaborate?

suggestion for ambient light use when editing. 2 years 10 months ago #5457

A cheap and ugly way, nail the four corners of a white sheet to the joist to cover the lights. A better way would be to get ND florescent gels from Rosco, Lee, or GAM. They slide right over the tubes and cut the light down.
I've been using Spyder Pro for about 4 years. What I have found is the brightness adjustment wanted by the program never works. Run the calibration and save it. Than turn down the monitor brightness to less than 50%, even lower if you can still see it. Run the calibration again and click Keep Current Settings.
Also print a copy of the graph showing the sRGB or Adobe color space and date it so you can compare different settings. On that copy wright down what the monitor settings are, white balance, color space, brightness, contrast, etc. You can spend all day experimenting with different setting of the monitor and no two are going to be the same.
I never use Soft Proofing and my prints match what I see on screen.
Hope my 2 cents helps,
Gary
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Gary L Long.