Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

Greg, A Possible Video To Work On about DPI

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #5526 by jerry
HI Greg:

Perhaps you can shed some of your knowledge or do a video on it. On another site, someone was asking about why her image got rejected for a calendar. After reading, some of us agreed that it was to low of a DPI.

Another person, on that same thread came in and mentioned not to change the cameras dpi, but the change just the ppi if i read correctly and to not constrain proportions when cropping.

If you have time, this is the link:
www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

Again, if you have time could you maybe do a video with your thoughts?

I've always set Adobe Camera Raw preferences to 300 so it opens in photoshop at 300 dpi.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by jerry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #5531 by Gregory Cazillo

The way you are describing the conversation they are both wrong. Dpi/ppi have nothing to do with the size of the image. What really matters is pixel dimensions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jerry

Pickup your Photography Tshirt today
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #5532 by jerry
I kinda understand it I guess, but how would I set up my Adobe Camera RAW preference. I mean in workflow options there is a box with "image sizing" settings. That first box has several choices. Should I set my resolution for 72 pixels/inch? Should I use Width & height.

I think I am getting dumber by trying to learn this. Would it be possible for you to do a more detailed video as far as defualt settings in camera RAW to setting up a photo as 8x10 or 5x7..etc in photoshop?

I set up RAW for 72 DPI, width & height 4000x5000 pixels, opened in photoshop and set a 7x5 crop and my dimensions show 504x360 and a resolution of 72.

Is 504x360 not enough pixels? Would love to see a more detailed video. Thanks
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by jerry.

More
3 years 8 months ago #5536 by jerry
Thanks Greg, I never ever picked up on this for some reason and I don't know how or why I missed it, but Camera RAW is set to 300 pixels per inch, for some odd reason, I always looked at it as DPI, why, I have no clue...probably because I'm an idiot. So I guess my final question would be, should my default in camera raw be 240, I beleive thats what you said in this weeks video, thsnks.