Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Monitor Calibration

Monitor Calibration 2 years 4 months ago #6123

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I recently purchased a new laptop with photo editing in mind (see link below for details). Well to my disappointment, the colors were way off. Reds had a pinkish hue to them and everything had this cool tone. So I decided it was time to calibrate the monitor. I purchased the Spyder2 Pro and finally got it to work on my 64bit system. Now after calibrating, the colors appear worse then before. Everything has this "muddy" look to it. My blacks dont look black, my mid tone grays look brown or sepia tone. Skin tones appear very orange and/or yellow. Overall...everything looks very flat. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. What experiences have you had with screen calibration?

I think its worth mentioning, the calibration tool is trying to set the Gamma to 2.2 and the White Point to 6500K. Not sure if this is correct. I do have the option to change the Target but not sure which option to choose.

Laptop Link:
www.frys.com/product/7994600#detailed
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Monitor Calibration 2 years 4 months ago #6126

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Here is the big problem. Looks like it's a TN panel that cant even fully reproduce sRGB and those deltaEs are terrible.... 9 ... omg

I don't want to get into details. Greg I think you should really talk about monitor/display selection on your show as it is the most confusing thing for a lot of people.

"A look at color space reproduction shows that the Ideapad's screen cannot cover either the sRGB or the AdobeRGB color space. These rates are significant for professional image editing, for example. sRGB is covered by 65.8 percent, and AdobeRGB has a coverage rate of 48.8 percent.

The screen's average DeltaE 2000 shift achieves a rate of 9.88 in delivery state, and is thus on par with most screens that we have assessed. Only yellow achieves the target range of DeltaE smaller than 3. The screen exhibits a bluish cast."

source: www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-Idea...tebook.110159.0.html
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Brent Ross.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Monitor Calibration? 2 years 4 months ago #6127

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Brent. I do wish there was more in-depth calibration tutorials/videos available. I know a laptop is not the most ideal setup when it comes to post processing and color calibration. I just dont have the space for a full work station. I also dont want to invest too much as photography is more of a hobby at this point.

This image was processed pre-calibration. When editing, the colors and tones looked OK. Now, post calibration, the image looks flat. It feels like its lacking depth between my shadows and highlights.
Lake Sabrina by moreno1024, on Flickr

Monitor Calibration? 2 years 4 months ago #6129

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
Yeah if its a hoby it's no prob. The picture is not too plagued by colour shift and the black and white levels look ok.

Once you get serious you can always get a small IPS display to use as a reference monitor. The Asus PA line promos.asus.com/US/PASeries/ is a cheaper alternative to Dell Dreamcolours and NEC Multisync displays I hear.

Monitor Calibration? 2 years 4 months ago #6143

Unfortunately this is the case with many laptop displays. Did you talk to Spyder and get their advice?

Brent is right, having a second monitor for editing may be the best way to go since you have already bought your laptop. I recently bought two of these and love them. ASUS PB238Q www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00906GBBC/ref...kId=IS624QH36HBBWOQC. When I calibrated them the new profile had next to no visible change. Quite happy with them for a $200 ips panel.

Monitor Calibration? 2 years 4 months ago #6148

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks for sharing that 200 dollar monitor Greg. I had no idea they had low cost IPS monitors
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Brent Ross.

Monitor Calibration 2 years 4 months ago #6149

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks guys. I'll have to check out those monitors and see what I can squeeze out of my budget. As for contacting Datacolor, the sphere 2 is an outdated system and probably isn't supported. My eyes may be adjusting but the yellow color cast isn't so bad anymore. I just hope it doesn't effect my editing. So far, from what I can tell, the colors aren't so bad (when viewing on standard office monitors).

Monitor Calibration 2 years 4 months ago #6150

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
Sorry...spyder 2.

Monitor Calibration 2 years 4 months ago #6151

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
Don't forget about 2nd hand. Friend picked up a Dell Ultrasharp for half the price on kijiji. Perfect condition.