Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tethering/Instant feedback.. distracting??

Tethering/Instant feedback.. distracting?? 2 years 4 months ago #6155

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Ok I'm thinking of building a small mini itx pc and mounting to a back of a tv and using it as a tethering machine in lightroom. I would then hang the tv where it would be visible to a model or client being shot.

Question is, do you think it will distract the model to see themselves and their pose instantly, or be helpful in letting them self adjust with the instant feedback? Anybody have any experiences?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tethering/Instant feedback.. distracting?? 2 years 4 months ago #6156

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I think its a neat Idea, but I would think it would be a distraction for model. But you could have it tethered to your computer so you can get instant feedback on your lighting and composition. Having it tethered would be great for a photobooth at a wedding, as photos get taken, you can start a slideshow of them. Mark Wallace had a great video on that verything on the Adorama leraning center.

Then after you are done, you can show it to them on the larger TV, as long as its HD, but will the colors and clarity be the same? I don't know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brent Ross
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Tethering/Instant feedback.. distracting?? 2 years 4 months ago #6157

• Luke
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I have shot tethered before, using my laptop not a tv and I found it very helpful. There is only so much detail that you can see on the back of your camera an being able to look at the picture on a 17 inch screen definitely helped. The laptop was angled so that I could view the shots as I worked but the model could not (this was not intentional and just happened that way ). There was some interruption as the model occasionally came and looked at the image on the screen; in this case she came to me to view the laptop where I would have normally brought the camera to her to look at.

I found it a useful tool when trying to communicate with the model what aspects of the photograph I was trying to change.

If you are going to do it I would suggest a nice long cable, I picked up 15 foot cable on Amazon and found it a bit short for what I was doing, if I was going to buy another one I would probably get the 30 foot version.

Tethering/Instant feedback.. distracting?? 2 years 4 months ago #6159

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks for the feedback luke and jerry.

For lighting i find the back of the camera is fine but when it comes to posing sometimes something looks great on the back of the camera, then you blow it up and derp...

I was thinking often the model will run up and look at themselves in the camera and if they could just see themselves instantly up on the wall, they could get more creative with less direction. I'm being lazy :P

Tethering/Instant feedback.. distracting?? 2 years 3 months ago #6172

• Mark Goulais
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a rig set up on my tripod that holds my Note 2 which I have tethered to my 60D. The screen size is approx. 2 times that of my camera. The program in my smartphone is called 'DSLR Controller'. I can use my phone to control the camera, or simply view the shots I've just taken.

Also, from time to time I work for insurance agents where I run my backup T3 up a 20 foot pole to take outdoor photos of homes. With a longer cord I control my camera from below.

The hookup to the tripod is a simple bicycle smartphone mount that you can search for at Amazon.

Tethering/Instant feedback.. distracting?? 2 years 3 months ago #6174

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
Mark thanks so much, I have a shield tablet so this will save me from dropping cash on a laptop or tiny PC

Ah crap, it's canon camera only :C
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Brent Ross.

Tethering/Instant feedback.. distracting?? 2 years 3 months ago #6175

I would use it for myself once in a while definitely not the model, too much going on. You need them to be paying attention to you not the screen. You make them comfortable, not a screen.

Tethering/Instant feedback.. distracting?? 2 years 3 months ago #6176

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks for the feedback Greg. Makes sense