Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Getting Correct White Balance - Another tutorial?

Getting Correct White Balance - Another tutorial? 1 year 1 month ago #6492

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I have another topic for a possible video..white balance.

I am always struggling to get correct white balance, yes I know the best way is probably to do custom white balance in camera, but I get confused with that as well. I don't have a grey card so i use a white sheet a paper. If I am using flash (say for portraits) do i fire the flash or leave it turned off? I don't know what kinda of exposure I need, do i need to overexpose to get the paper bright white then do a custom setting off that?

Then, how do you correctly do it in post editing in photoshop and lightroom? I can never get it if I use the white balance eye dropper do I select a mid gray, which would be a number of around 125ish? I have had some luck adjusting each r, g, b channel using curves.

But I want to get more consistent, especially for portrait to get correct skin tones.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Getting Correct White Balance - Another tutorial? 1 year 1 month ago #6493

You just hit a nerve for me :). I'm gonna spend about 10 minutes in Monday's show just on this question!
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Getting Correct White Balance - Another tutorial? 1 year 1 month ago #6495

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
Cool. More specifically I guess in lightroom when you select the white balance tool you get that loop, i wanna know what to look for as far as rgb values. I hear a lot about 18% gray. If white is 100, then 18% is around 80ish. That doesn't always work. Or am i looking for a spot where the rgb values are pretty much the same number or close as they can be?

I'll be looking forward to a good tutorial. :cheer:
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by jerry.

Getting Correct White Balance - Another tutorial? 1 year 1 month ago #6496

Getting Correct White Balance - Another tutorial? 1 year 1 month ago #6498

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks for taking the time to explain things, it would be nice to have the necessary equipment/accessories, but I don't. I don't do any "paid" type of work so some of these accessories are not warranted. I did find another video (before this one came up) on how to use the loupe in lightroom and that the rgb values should be the same or close as I can find, to use as a starting point.