Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Anyone tried GIMP for P/P?

Anyone tried GIMP for P/P? 4 years 11 months ago #368

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
Just curious as to who uses this software.

Are there any pros and cons in comparison to Photoshop (I avoid comparing it to Lightroom 3 as I think its fine the way it is; except maybe the lack of channel mixer LOL)? Is it less hardware demanding on your (Windows)system?

Just want to know what the users of this program think and hope to enlighten me. :)

Thanks!

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Christian Udarbe. Reason: Incomplete title =p
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Anyone tried GIMP for P/P? 4 years 11 months ago #374

I use Lightroom to develop my RAW files, nothing more. When I would like to do more work I use Paint Shop Pro X3. For me ( and most people ) this works great.

In my opinion it looks like the whole world needs to have Photoshop. If you do not have it, you are not a serious photographer. Well, B#llsh%t ;)
Why would people pay €1000 for some software which they might only be using 5 to 10%? Most people I know who have PS don't have a clue what this program can actually do.
Paint Shop Pro cost well under €100 has got the most used items you could want for editing your pictures.

Imho PS is a program made for image-manipulation. For real developing and some editing of your photo's PSPX3 and Lightroom are perfect. They do what you would do in the old days using film.
But nowadays image-manipulation is named in the same word as photography which it isn't. You see so many images that are so different form the initial basic shot that it has nothing to do with photography, but more in ways like art or creativity.

I nowadays know more people who have crap photo skills, but are superb Photoshoppers, and yes they get credit for their "great" photography... :blink:

Ok, enough ranting.. haha ;)

If you like photography, developing software like Lightroom, Capture NX is perfect and very affordable.
For editing I would recommend PSP or similar ( Gimp ) and you will be fine for 99%
Unless you want to go really extreme in your images and change your images in a way that would not be possible otherwise, spend €1000 on PS...

But that's my 2 cents ;)
Nikon FX body's and some Nikkor FX glass I believe...

Praktica 35mm analogue just for fun

www.remcovandesanden.nl
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Anyone tried GIMP for P/P? 4 years 11 months ago #378

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
LOL Yep, I also think that PS uses too much PC power for it's own good. Slows my system like hell! All the buttons scare me and I only use the basic tools if ever I edit there (IDC if my pimples are on HD, I won't manipulate as much of my photos LOL).

I also use Lightroom like 90-95% of my RAW edits and was looking for another, much photography oriented (and less system killer), to pair with my Lightroom and cover the remaining 5-10%.

I totally agree with you that PS is more of an image manipulator and oriented a lot less to photography; and yep, other's get credit for "great shots" when it was manipulated soooo much... leaving me to scratch my head and without a single praise for my shots LOL

I'm quite interested in that Paint Shop Pro program (maybe even GIMP, but I'm now leaning to PSP); I will look into tonight as a possible PS replacement. Really need something to pair up with Lightroom for the other edits I can't achieve within Lightroom. ;) Sure hope the learning curve isn't steep! :)

Thanks dude!! :)

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr

Add me up!

Re: Anyone tried GIMP for P/P? 4 years 11 months ago #382

• David Olshan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
To answer your question, yes, I use GIMP for things that Lightroom cannot do. It does nearly everything Photoshop can do and it's free. I use it mostly for compositing. GIMP handles layers and masking every bit as good at Photoshop.

Re: Anyone tried GIMP for P/P? 4 years 11 months ago #383

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
Hi David!

Does it also have similar functionality like HDR stacking or merging for panorama?

Oh yeah! Same question to Remco about those functions on PSP.

Thanks guys!!

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr

Add me up!

Re: Anyone tried GIMP for P/P? 4 years 10 months ago #489

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Well I use Gimp for when I do need such features and Raw Therapee is not enough. Raw Therapee is like Lightroom btw, but free. I think Gimp is a excellent alternative to Photoshop especially if you are only using it for about 10% of shots like me. I agree you should not shell out like €500 or whatever it is for occasional use. Somethings Ps has, Gimp doesn't, but you can download them. Like content-aware fill, Gimp calls it resynthesizer (which is a pain to download correctly, something which I have yet to master). There is also one for panoramas called Pandora I think? Or another called Hugin?

Anyway, if it is occasional use, get Gimp. If it is heavy processing that something like Lightroom (or the poorman's Lightroom Raw Therapee) can't handle, get Ps.

Hope that helped. :)

- Conor.
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Conor Casey.

Re: Anyone tried GIMP for P/P? 4 years 10 months ago #499

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
I actually got, as an advance birthday gift from a friend, The Complete Collection from Nik Software that I can use as stand alones, or in my case, as plugins for both my Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS5.

So, far I find it quite useful for some of my edits that I just can't do in Lightroom 3. Not at all PC heavy as PS CS5. But I'll wait and use it some more before I completely praise it and recommend this to y'all. hehehhe

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr

Add me up!