Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: First Flash Portrait

First Flash Portrait 4 years 11 months ago #240

Shot this today with an SB-900, umbrella, and a reflector. The model held the reflector on her lap. I think it did a pretty good job removing the shadows from under the chin area. Let me know what you think.

Camera Nikon D7000
Exposure 0.167 sec (1/6)
Aperture f/1.8
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash On, Return not detected
Software Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.6 (Windows)
Exposure Program Manual

My better half by DSPcat, on Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: First Flash Portrait 4 years 11 months ago #241

Nice Portrait but 2 things maybe you got better. First of all what is about the white background stripe in front of the shoulder. And better set the Chin of your model a little bit more down so you dont look into her nose.

Best regards
Michael
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: First Flash Portrait 4 years 11 months ago #257

Michael is right, be careful to pose the head in pleasing positions. Her chin down a bit and to the right could have been better. Its not a natural position when the shoulders are turned the other way but people get the hang of it.

Re: First Flash Portrait 4 years 11 months ago #268

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Can I ask why you were shooting at 1/6 at f/1.8 with a flash? Seems way too slow for portraits.

Andy

Re: First Flash Portrait 4 years 11 months ago #322

Thanks for the tips. Didn't notice the tilt of the head being up the way it was. The white strip in the lower frame is a chair rail molding on the wall. Didn't have a chair without a back on it so raising the model wasn't an option. I was using spot metering and allowed the meter to direct the shutter speed. Flash set in TTL.

Re: First Flash Portrait - Help ! (Greg) 4 years 11 months ago #342

Greg,

Not that I disagree with your comments about the position of the head in order to eliminate the "up the nose" shot, but I see that perspective ignored in many professional photographers work. Look at the attached video and comment if you will on when and how this axiom should applied. Thanks again for your insights.

vimeo.com/34418829.

Bruce

Re: First Flash Portrait - Help ! (Greg) 4 years 11 months ago #343

Sometimes it works for fashion but not in this instance.