Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Where is my F2.8? I can only go as low as F4, why

Where is my F2.8? I can only go as low as F4, why 4 years 1 month ago #2408

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Please forgive my ignorance - I've watched most of Gregs videos and I'm practicing, I really am. My question is about the F-stop - I have a macro lens that I don't use much, and a 55-250 and the standard 18-55 - My 55-250 will only go to an F5.6 and the 18-55 goes to F4 - I keep seeing pictures that were taken on lower settings like F 2.8- I have a Canon Rebel T3 - and I've tried Manual Mode as well as Av and Tv - what am I missing? Thanks for any tips!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Where is my F2.8? I can only go as low as F4, why 4 years 1 month ago #2411

• Carol Johnson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Erin - your 2.8 aperture only works at the 55 mm end of the lens. Your lens changes aperture from as you go from 55 mm to 250 mm. Like your lens probably won't use a 2.8 aperture at 250 mm,unless you ahve the $1500. lens then it will keep a constant aperture all the way through.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miklos Makrai
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Where is my F2.8? I can only go as low as F4, why 4 years 1 month ago #2412

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi Erin,

It is no problem to ask these questions, i think we went all through those questions.

Aperture is build on little panels in the lens. How more they can open, how lower the number of f/stop you can use.

Like the 18-55 will probably start at 18mm at a aperture of f/3.5. But if you zoom in to 55mm, the aperture will be around f/5.6.

There are lenses on the market which you can't see they zoom in, but they can, but then they can hold their light with the f/stop which can be set to f/4.0 or maybe even f/2.8. There are some prime lenses they go to f/1.2.

I know there is a lense on the market which has f/0.8, but that lens is about $ 15,000 ;)

Hope i explained it a bit :)

Greetings,
Roy

Re: Where is my F2.8? I can only go as low as F4, why 4 years 1 month ago #2417

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the explanation - I will go practice with the lens again!!

Re: Where is my F2.8? I can only go as low as F4, why 4 years 2 weeks ago #2487

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
I've been playing with 2 of my lenses - the standard 55mm and the 55-200. I have tried everything and cant' get an F 2.8 on either of them. I feel so dumb. What am I not doing right? I am going to take practice portraits of a friend on Friday - and was hoping to practice on F 2.8 - any tips? Thanks!

Re: Where is my F2.8? I can only go as low as F4, why 4 years 1 week ago #2488

• Carol Johnson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Erin,
On your lens it says what aperture your lens goes to. Say you have the kit lens 18-55 mm. On the lens it might have 3.5 - 5.6 for instance. Your lens will not go to a 2.8. The widest your lens might go is 3.5 at the widest end. Hope this helps.