Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Need tips on outdoor photo - nearing golden hour

Need tips on outdoor photo - nearing golden hour 3 years 11 months ago #2523

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
A friend has asked that I take a few group family photos in her backyard late next week around 4:30 - since it's a large group I am guessing we might not start at 4:30 - and we could easily be running into sunset. I know this is a great time for photos - but the last time I had a family out in that time spot - I ruined my shots with too much flash. I am guessing with such a large crowd that I will use my smaller lens - and I won't be standing too far away, just enough to fill everyone in the shot. Any tips for my camera settings? And should I have my flash pointing directly at them? Or bring someone with me to hold a reflector to my side for the flash to bounce? I don't want to disappoint this family. Any tips would be very much appreciation! Thanks Cazillions!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Need tips on outdoor photo - nearing golden hour 3 years 11 months ago #2571

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
I normally choose a shutter speed I'd like to aim for, then put the camera into shutter priority with it, and see what aperture I get when aimed at the sky or background. Then set it back to Manual with those settings. Then use my flash(s) to light the subjects.

Kinda like this one.

(Edit): I could have had a lot more ambient light come in if I slowed my shutter down, but I wanted the sunset to really pop.

Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Erik Ballew.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erin
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Need tips on outdoor photo - nearing golden hour 3 years 11 months ago #2572

My preferred method is to set your ambient light first on manual mode then add flash. That way you know your ambient settings are right and you can easily double check them by turning off the flash. If you can move the flash off camera that is best, just be aware of shadows from one person onto another with the flash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz

Need tips on outdoor photo - nearing golden hour 3 years 11 months ago #2573

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Gregory Cazillo wrote:
My preferred method is to set your ambient light first on manual mode then add flash. That way you know your ambient settings are right and you can easily double check them by turning off the flash. If you can move the flash off camera that is best, just be aware of shadows from one person onto another with the flash.

What Erik said, and what Greg said are almost the same. And thats the way i do it too..

Good luck on this one.

P.s. I moved the topic to the right catagory.

Greetings,
Roy

Need tips on outdoor photo - nearing golden hour 3 years 11 months ago #2574

Erin be sure to post your results!

Need tips on outdoor photo - nearing golden hour 3 years 11 months ago #2583

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
Where did I have it posted? Under newbies? I figured because I'm pretty new that's where it belonged. Sorry! Didn't see all the new replies until this morning - the day of my shoot and I am clueless about ambient light! I don't have all the "pro" equipment that you guys do. I have an external flash and some lenses but that's about it. I know my white balance button, but I guess I need to go into menu and play around with the flash modes to figure some of this stuff out. Thanks for explaining what it is that I need to do. I have about 7 hours to study up! Had a party here at our house last night and my indoor shots were horrible - so I'm not too optimistic right now!

Need tips on outdoor photo - nearing golden hour 3 years 11 months ago #2584

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
Just re-read Gregs post about taking flash off camera - I don't have a way to do that - other than to remove it and not use it at all. I'm sure there is an easy way for me to still use my external flash without having it mounted on the shoe. Stupid question though - did you mean to remove it completely and not use it? And only work with built in flash? I should be ashamed to ask this type of question, but I know I'm in the right place to learn! Thanks!

Need tips on outdoor photo - nearing golden hour 3 years 11 months ago #2585

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
Erik - I also had to re-read yours to process it - good tip. And great pic. Thanks!

Need tips on outdoor photo - nearing golden hour 3 years 11 months ago #2586

Erin wrote:
Just re-read Gregs post about taking flash off camera - I don't have a way to do that - other than to remove it and not use it at all. I'm sure there is an easy way for me to still use my external flash without having it mounted on the shoe. Stupid question though - did you mean to remove it completely and not use it? And only work with built in flash? I should be ashamed to ask this type of question, but I know I'm in the right place to learn! Thanks!

Using flash 'off camera' means that the flash is turned on and affecting the scene, except its not mounted to the hot shoe on the flash. Using only flash on camera is very limiting and removes shadows which make photos look great. Since you are very new to using flash watch my flash exposure video and get a good grasp on balancing the ambient light (room lighting, outdoor sun, etc) with your flash. That way your photos will have good exposure with some nice background color too instead of just the person in the foreground exposed properly and the background completely black.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erin, Jose Cruz

Need tips on outdoor photo - nearing golden hour 3 years 11 months ago #2588

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
I will head over to watch that video now. Thanks so much Greg!

Need tips on outdoor photo - nearing golden hour 3 years 11 months ago #2590

• Erik Ballew
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
No "Pro" gear here, that photo was taken with a Canon t2i, 50mm 1.4, and a $40 manual speed light with umbrella.