Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

Comments on portraiture?

More
4 years 2 months ago #2865 by Robert
Hi,
I've been watching Greg's videos and have gained a lot of valuable tips. His "50mm is not a portrait lens" really rocked my thought process.

I decided to try some "office" portraits using just one speedlight, one reflector and my 135mmf/2 lens.

I just set up the stuff in my office (clamshell fashion) tested it out via meter, and then when anyone came in my office, I zapped them a few times!

I'm not very good at being critical; it's sort of like having kids...hard to be objective.

Can Greg comment and pick these apart a bit so I can improve?

And

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #2866 by Mistery
The only thing I have at the moment is if you have a second flash set it up behind them to use it as a hair light.

D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele

Pickup your Photography Tshirt today
More
4 years 2 months ago #2869 by Robert

Keith Homan wrote: The only thing I have at the moment is if you have a second flash set it up behind them to use it as a hair light.

You're right...I didn't bring it but I'll keep that in mind...that's true, that would have improved these greatly.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #2870 by Erik Ballew
Really depends on what kind of portraiture you are going for, what you have set up here is great for Office/Corporate work. Quick easy and portable, the same I use, for this type of work.

But yes if you are looking into doing Family or Beauty type portraiture you'll definitely want to at least ad a hair/rim/back light.
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Erik Ballew.

More
4 years 2 months ago #2875 by Gregory Cazillo
Few things...

1. get rid of stuff around first guy's neck
2. add some interest to the background, maybe a table lamp to one corner to make a gradation.
3. try zooming out a bit to give more interest to the whole image, both seem very close an uncomfortable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz

More
4 years 2 months ago #2882 by Robert

Gregory Cazillo wrote: Few things...

2. add some interest to the background, maybe a table lamp to one corner to make a gradation.
3. try zooming out a bit to give more interest to the whole image, both seem very close an uncomfortable.

Thanks for chiming in Greg...I never thought of trying to do a gradation...thanks...I'll give that a try.

And the zooming; I'll do what I can, my office is about 12 X 12 lol...I'm only shooting my friends for practice and this is my space..(you wouldn't want me to use a 50mm lens would you? :)

Thanks again.

More
4 years 2 months ago #2889 by Erik Ballew

Robert wrote:

Gregory Cazillo wrote: Few things...

Thanks for chiming in Greg...I never thought of trying to do a gradation...thanks...I'll give that a try.

And the zooming; I'll do what I can, my office is about 12 X 12 lol...I'm only shooting my friends for practice and this is my space..(you wouldn't want me to use a 50mm lens would you? :)

Thanks again.

A 50mm is fine, its not optimal but its fine for this. Photography is always give and take, you hardly have optimal conditions in an imperfect world. I know about the "Rules" out there, but I don't live by any of them, When I don't have room for a telephoto lens, I use a 50, if I don't have room for a 50 I use a 35.

To me it is about getting the photo I need when I need it, and knowing what tools to use to get it.

Sometimes a construction crew would really like a jack hammer, but there isn't enough room or money, so they need to break out the ol' sledge hammers...

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #2903 by Robert
Ok....I tried something different.

I asked this guy to "think mean" and give me a "look".

I used the same lighting but had him (and my camera) more off axis.

I also added a speedlight to blow out the background and the spill as an added bonus that functioned as a rim...but with only low tables in my tiny office...it wasn't optimal placing.

But be that as it may...I think it's improved.

I learned a LOT about this during this week and that was the point of it all.

Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Robert.

More
4 years 2 months ago #3072 by Gregory Cazillo
Better, try adding another light so you get a catchlight in his eyes. I won't tell you where to put it just trial and error...most people learn the best that way!

More
4 years 1 month ago #3384 by Erik Ballew

Robert wrote: Ok....I tried something different.

I asked this guy to "think mean" and give me a "look".

I used the same lighting but had him (and my camera) more off axis.

I also added a speedlight to blow out the background and the spill as an added bonus that functioned as a rim...but with only low tables in my tiny office...it wasn't optimal placing.

But be that as it may...I think it's improved.

I learned a LOT about this during this week and that was the point of it all.

Sometimes just sitting them in front of a table with a white cloth will give you all the fill you need.