Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Critique my Portrait

Critique my Portrait 3 years 8 months ago #3401

Was just looking for critiques on this portrait.

Nikon D90
VR 18-105mm F/305-5.6G
L (4288x2848) - 10.4 MB
70mm - ISO 500
1/500s - F/5.3
0EV - Auto, 0, 0

Shot this in the summer of 2012 when I still did not really understand the exposure circle. Post processed in Photoshop Elements after I learned more about exposures and photography.

Would probably have turned out better if I had known more at the time.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Critique my Portrait 3 years 8 months ago #3405

• dave seymour
  • Senior Boarder
  • canon all the way..
  • Thank you received: 2
hi, well im no expert but heres my thoughts.
nice shot, im guessing if you had turned the other way though the light would be on your face and not the back of your head.
also i would of liked the back ground a little more out of focus as i keep looking at the berrys near your chin :)
7D. 24-105L.
50mm f1.8
100-400 f4.5.6 IS
430exii.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Critique my Portrait 3 years 8 months ago #3410

• beast
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I like how you used the sun as a hair light. It really helps separate her from the background. But I'm not a fan of the house on the right side of the frame. I would either recompose to remove it or get it more out of focus. Thanks for sharing!

Critique my Portrait 3 years 8 months ago #3412

Thanks much for the feedback, guys! Just for clarification, I'm Nate and this is my wife. This is not me. LOL

This photo has been cropped by about 10% to hide a stupid fence that was still in the shot on the left side of it. I did not crop the house out because something looked funny when I cut away from her elbow up: like, the comp need the elbow visible otherwise she began to look really flat and just kind of out of whack.

I tried recomping when I took this shot, this was one out of maybe six I took in this particular frame, but this one had the best angle of the sun: when I turned more to lose the shed, I got the fence: lesson, pick better locales.

Critique my Portrait 3 years 8 months ago #3413

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi there Nathan! Welcome to the forums!

Here is my critique :)

I don't want to be harsh on you. The lighting looks good and the focus is tack sharp..

But, there are 3 things which pulls me off,

the image is taken from a lower position than the subject. That results in that she is looking down, and she doesn't look realy comfortable with this pose or position..

I don't know if that last one is true, but thats a sort of message which the image is giving me.

I have read the things about the fence and house etc, even though, if you recomposed this, from a higher perspective, zoomed in a bit more, and pulled the subject a tad more to the left, you had a stronger image :)

Well, hope to see more of you work and i hope you can do something with my critique :)

Greetings,
Roy

Critique my Portrait 3 years 8 months ago #3418

Thanks Roy!

Actually, you're critique is dead on with my thoughts.

Only place I dsagree is the zoom and changing my angle. This shot was after I set the subject up a little to get her chin to look right, etc.

These were her pregnancy photos and she didn't really liked how any of them ever turned out (this was after she went to something like a JC Penny and they were HORRIBLE! I laughed when she finally came to me.)

This was here favorite one cuz she could not see her belly. Which, is funny, since pregnancy photos should be highlighting that but, oh well.

Anyway, I had a few from an angle which had the eye level equal to hers and it did not work: just wrong angles, skin, but mostly lighting issues.

If I could do it all over, I would pull her to the left and take a vertical shot, long shot to cut out the crap on the sides.

I gotta say, though, I'll stick with that angle, personal preference. Maybe it's cuz I know the reason for the forced smile is cuz she was huge and pregnant and uncomfortable having her pics taken but, yea, a shot from a higher angle would not have flattered her stomach: I chose this angle as it presented the flattest angle to her stomach nd that was the goal.

Awesome critique though, Roy. You weren't too hard, just critical. I love critical.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by nathan sterken.

Critique my Portrait 3 years 8 months ago #3470

• Erin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
a) your wife is beautiful.
b) great photo, but....
c) you could just Photoshop out the distraction on the right and make it greenery...
d) not sure if there is a shadow on her face or if my screen is making it look dark (not to self, calibrate.) But I love the light on her hair. Finally,
d) - it's just a personal preference, but I think the shirt she is wearing is too "busy" and distracts from her face and the nature around her. I prefer solids...but again, personal preference.

Critique my Portrait 3 years 8 months ago #3471

Thank you so much Erin! I agree with everything you said. tHink I'll try and do the greenery. The shirt I can't change.