Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: something from last saturday. what ya think?

something from last saturday. what ya think? 3 years 8 months ago #3688

• roy panaguiton
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
hello
long time no post.
and got a chance to shoot portrait last saturday.
C&C hard :)

nikon D5000 tamron 28-75 2.8

March 23, 2013DSC_0216-Edit by mykevixen, on Flickr

March 23, 2013DSC_0421-Edit by mykevixen, on Flickr

March 23, 2013DSC_0162-Edit by mykevixen, on Flickr

March 23, 2013DSC_0201-Edit by mykevixen, on Flickr

March 23, 2013DSC_0365-Edit by mykevixen, on Flickr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

something from last saturday. what ya think? 3 years 8 months ago #3700

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi Roy!

Well, i can write everything down, but i think you did a great job on these images. It doesnt disturb me that you have cut of some body parts in the image because the image is story telling and strong.

I think image 5 is too strong. I think when you did the same editting as in photo 2 that the image would remain your style.. it looks a bit out of your style.

Even though. I like it.

Number 4 is like.. hmm yeah.. missing something. But i cannot point out what...

The rest is awsome.

Greetings,
Roy
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

something from last saturday. what ya think? 3 years 8 months ago #3707

• roy panaguiton
  • Expert Boarder
TY sir Roy. was expecting a harsh C&C. here is another one i did as high key b&W

March 23, 2013DSC_0396-Edit-2 by mykevixen, on Flickr

something from last saturday. what ya think? 3 years 8 months ago #3710

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
I am not really keen on pigeonholing myself into subjects as a photographer but the one thing I will say is that I am not a portrait photographer.

Tbh when I first looked at these images, I thought they were all great. Number one, two and three are my favourites. Upon reading Roy's (Dutch Roy) comments, I would have to both agree and disagree. I agree that number 4 is the weakest; in my opinion, compared to the others, it is just a bit too plain although a technically correct shot. I can see Roy's point that 5 is a little two strong but I think the look works well for this photo.

To be perfectly honest, I don't like the above "High-key" shot. It's just not to my taste at all although I can also see others loving the effect.

Good job overall Roy; I look forward to seeing some more of your images and welcome back to the forums. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr

something from last saturday. what ya think? 3 years 8 months ago #3712

• roy panaguiton
  • Expert Boarder
TY for the C&C casey. i just wish i can shoot more often. i go whenever my schedule fits the one on my meetup group. and was about to sell my gears too :)
i somehow love high key processing and its a personal taste. and only photo 2 and 5 are cropped a little only. oh and the B&W. those close-up are not cropped.

something from last saturday. what ya think? 3 years 8 months ago #3713

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
No problem, hope I was some kind of help.

M advise, don't sell your gear unless you are in financial trouble. Even if you take a break from photography, you never know when you'll be bitten by the photography bug again. It would be a shame to have no gear if that was to happen and by the images you've shown us here, you clearly have a talent for it.

I understand about not having the time for it though. I mainly shoot landscapes and it can often be time consuming to get out and shoot because I live in the city - well a suburb of the city - and don't drive. Plus when it's dark outside and your bed is warm, that just adds to the challenge! :P Also, the weather here in Ireland has been appalling these last few weeks. We are still getting snow and it's almost April!

Being in college, I thought I would be able to shoot more this year but that hasn't necessarily been the case because of my timetable. I have shot more, but perhaps not as much as I expected/hoped.

Don't worry about cropping too much. I understand that some people are against it but I would personally prefer to crop a bit to get a good image rather than having an un-cropped dud.

Good job on the images again Roy. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr

something from last saturday. what ya think? 3 years 8 months ago #3736

• roy panaguiton
  • Expert Boarder
another two photos from that set

March 23, 2013DSC_0257-Edit by mykevixen, on Flickr

March 23, 2013DSC_0067-Edit by mykevixen, on Flickr

something from last saturday. what ya think? 3 years 8 months ago #3737

Hello, new to the forum.

I was wondering if these are all natural light, or not?

One comment I can make is that I think you are over sharpening (for example the eyes in 7). But the pose and light look great in most of the shots.

Julie Anne
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Julie Anne Moore.

something from last saturday. what ya think? 3 years 8 months ago #3738

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Roy my $.02 worth :D

Over all a really nice set! It would be nice to see a catch light in the eyes but not a big deal. I do agree that some of the eyes look a little to crispy.

1. Really like it! I like the color and the connection with the carmera

2. I would suggest to add a little fill flash to soften some of the shadow and maybe have her pull her shoulder back a little. Her arm just looks a little funny to me

3. I like the colors in this one more(just my preference ;)). The one thing that sticks out to me is the earing on the top left, it distrcats from her face and eyes....one of those silly little things we never see till later.

4. The olny critique here is the bark in the foregroung is a little distracting

5. Another great shot! again maybe a little fill flash on the right side of her face.

As far as the high key I really like the base image, I would like to see more color in the face and hair.

I'm assuming all natural lighting, did you use and reflectors or diffusion?

-Bill

something from last saturday. what ya think? 3 years 8 months ago #3742

• roy panaguiton
  • Expert Boarder
TY for the input guys. believe it or not i have a flash attach on my camera on this one. i just did not point it directly on the subject because its a bit too harsh. i still am learning how to use my flash and maybe next step is an off camera set-up. no reflector too. i wish i have one though. i did barrow a off cam flash set-up once in a while from another phototgrapher since this was a meet-up shoot.as to over sharpening? my PC broke down and im using me wife's laptop and installed a trial version of PS CS5. no monitor calibration too. i always wanted my subject to have their eyes pop. i had fun on this meet-up since it was the first time i did one-one with a model and did the directing. need more time to practice with lighting set-up. again TY everyone
roy

something from last saturday. what ya think? 3 years 8 months ago #3743

Well good job with the fill light, the pictures to look very natural. I love 1 and 3.

I am a little nervous to start taking pictures of people as I am better at photographing animals and going with the flow as well as leading then into poses. But there are a lot more rules to photographing people, I have little experience, and people are impatient.

I have been researching poses to give me an idea where to start, but it looks like you understand posing and now just have to refine your technique.

Great work,

Julie Anne

something from last saturday. what ya think? 3 years 8 months ago #3750

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Do a Google search for DIY flash softbox and you'll find some very good options to make a simple softbox to attach to your flash. It makes a huge difference in getting rid of the harsh light and they're cheap too(my favorite part :D)