Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Natural Light for Pet Portraits

Natural Light for Pet Portraits 3 years 8 months ago #3729

Hello,

I am new to this site, and found this wonderful community through Gregory Cazillo's youtube videos.

This year I plan to focus on improving my ability to find great natural light. I mainly focus on photographing pets and equine. I shoot with a Nikon d90, 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 and my new Nikon 80-200 f/2.8.

My questions are if anyone can share advice on
  1. learning to see great natural light situations,
  2. learning to work with different lighting situations when they occur, and
  3. exercises I may be able to do to learn how to see and use light better.

Here are a few examples of my photography,

I love the light in this shot, but it was just a lucky shot of asking the dogs to sit in the right place and having Tucker (the front dog) look in the right direction.

Tucker and his Ghost Friend by Julie Anne Moore's Photography, on Flickr

I am always trying to make sure there is light in the dogs eyes, and probably could throw away 80% of my photos do to the dogs only having black eyes, such as:

Casper by Julie Anne Moore's Photography, on Flickr
instead of:

Dante - Week 14 by Julie Anne Moore's Photography, on Flickr

And my black horse, Lacey Jane, has always been a big problem with my photography.

Lacey Winter 2012 by Julie Anne Moore's Photography, on Flickr

Lacey and Her Snowman by Julie Anne Moore's Photography, on Flickr

I would appreciate any advice or insight you may be willing to share.

Julie
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Julie Anne Moore. Reason: The pictures were formatted wrong
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Natural Light for Pet Portraits 3 years 7 months ago #3887

Julie,

I loved your pics! I mostly do pet portraits as well, although I am still a beginner. I found that looking at others pics on Flickr and also watching these tutorials are most helpful. I think Greg has a video on being able to see the light. If I cant find a topic on Gregs website, I also use Lynda.com which has amazing tutorials---for a price. Its not free. :(
Hope that helps.
Julie
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Natural Light for Pet Portraits 3 years 7 months ago #3891

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Julie Natonabah wrote:
Julie,

I loved your pics! I mostly do pet portraits as well, although I am still a beginner. I found that looking at others pics on Flickr and also watching these tutorials are most helpful. I think Greg has a video on being able to see the light. If I cant find a topic on Gregs website, I also use Lynda.com which has amazing tutorials---for a price. Its not free. :(
Hope that helps.
Julie
Here is the video:

I believe it's Greg's most popular video on Youtube. :cheer:
Conor Casey
Flickr