Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Portrait to Crituque

Portrait to Crituque 3 years 6 months ago #4067

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Hi: I was Watching some of Gregs videos on seeing the light, composition...etc. I took this photos a few years ago and don't have the original for some reason, so I really can't do much about cropping or redoing the comp. Now my photography teacher really loved this shot, we loved the attitude she was giving, the contrast. At the time this was my best portrait and I do love that attitudy look. Anyway, what are your thought?

Thanks
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Portrait to Crituque 3 years 6 months ago #4073

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
I like it; I think it's a nice shot. :) The composition is good and the blurred background works well. I like the soft light on her face too.

If it was my photo, I would have increased the contrast ever so slightly and toned down the dodging, as it looks a tad flat too me. The one thing that I really don't like though is the fact you have shot a black and white, but left her eyes in colour - it doesn't work at all for me. Sorry Jerry.

Other than that though, it's a good shot. Thanks for sharing. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Portrait to Crituque 3 years 6 months ago #4076

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
Well, the Selective Color was apart of this particular assignment. I did no dodging, like i mentioned, I don't have the original photo, this photo i went with the soft f/x flow from tiffen software.

Portrait to Crituque 3 years 6 months ago #4079

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Well, okay fair enough. It would have been helpful though had you mentioned that the selective colour was part of the assignment. You asked for a critique of the photo, not for a critique of the photo in the context of it being a selective colour shot, which was why I mentioned it...

Really? :O It looked dodged to me, particularly around the subject's mouth which is a bit too washed out imo. Did you use a flash and soft-box then?
Conor Casey
Flickr

Portrait to Crituque 3 years 6 months ago #4083

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
ya, i should have mentioned that stuff, but after working 12 hours and it was like 3:45 a.m., guess my brain didn't want to function to much. At that particular time, I just had onboard flash. Now that I have a better eye and more knowledge, I like the portrait itself, but yes, editing needs work. I just wish I had the original...oh well