Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dog Portraits

Dog Portraits 3 years 3 months ago #4794

Went out to test my new, used, Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6 G, and experiment with different light.

28mm 1/350sec f/3.3 ISO800

28mm 1/1000sec f/4 ISO500

28mm 1/60sec f/3.3 ISO1000

28mm 1/125sec f/3.3 ISO1000

28mm 1/125sec f/3.3 ISO1000

28mm 1/350sec f/3.3 ISO500

I would love any suggestions on how I could have improved these shots both in capturing the images and editing.
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Julie Anne Moore.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dog Portraits 3 years 3 months ago #4800

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
From looking at all of these images Julie, the two pieces of advice I can offer you are:

1. To get in close
2. Get down to their level.

In the words of the famous photographer, Robert Capa, "if your photos aren't good enough, you’re not close enough". With most of your photos above, you are getting nice expressions from the dogs, but potential great photos are being missed because you are not filling the frame with the animal. A lot of photographing dogs is similar to photographing people, I think. Filling the frame is key.

I also notice that you are tending to shoot down on the dogs when you go to photograph them. This is one method of approaching it but I would also suggest you try getting down to their level to take the shot. Bring something like a black dustbin sack to sit/kneel on if the ground is wet. When you have two dogs, like in 1 and 2, I would try and move them closer together to take their photos.

I see you are shooting the majority of your photos at 28mm. I would finally advise you to zoom in a bit more which will help with filling the frame, and also blur the background more to get a more pleasing shot.

None of the photos you have taken are bad Julie, but I think small adjustments will help them greatly.

Good luck. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Dog Portraits 3 years 3 months ago #4801

Thanks Conor,

I normally shoot with my 80-200mm but the German Shepherd does not like having to stay when I move so far from him. He will put on the most pathetic face and is not as welling to stay.

Also I was trying to shot environmental type portraits is why I was shooting 28mm.