Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Chroma Key

Chroma Key 3 years 2 weeks ago #5297

Hi All,
I am in the planning stage of a small home studio. The general idea is to start out with the bare minimum and slowly replace the "cheap" stuff with the "good" stuff. The studio will be strictly for personal use to shoot friends and family. My question is backgrounds. Is it worth the time and effort to use a chroma key background or better to just go ahead an purchase the backgrounds I expect to use? I know chroma key will allow me to use infinite backgrounds, but the extra editing steps worry me as well as ending up with "fake" looking images. I have also considered purchasing the backgrounds I expect to use but include a chroma key as well just for versatility. To put it plain and simple, chrom key scares me....mostly because I don't know anything about it. Does anyone have any sugestions?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Chroma Key 3 years 2 weeks ago #5298

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Well, to me it would make sense to invest in a few backdrops. You can always try DIY backdrops.. I have a couple that came out interesting. I am like you, just the bare minimums. But, I would just go and purchase a couple "real" backdrops. After all, time is money right! And you want to spend as little time editing as possible if you plan on trying to make money. You say chroma key scares you, well, I think you just answered your own question.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Chroma Key 3 years 2 weeks ago #5300

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Just remember green-screens cause a lot of spill that you have to spend time cleaning up in post. digitalanarchy.com/demos/chroma_color.html

You have to light greenscreens very very well and evenly to make removing them easier in post. You can get away with 1 flash to light a real background, but may need more for a greenscreen.

Chroma Key 3 years 2 weeks ago #5301

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
the link I posted is written with primatte for nuke in mind, but the concepts apply for photoshop

Chroma Key 3 years 1 week ago #5319

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
shit another thing to keep in mind is lighting. you need to light the screen evenly and separately from the subject. so add lighting costs