Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Getting Started with Portraits

Getting Started with Portraits 1 year 9 months ago #6397

• Jonathan Barnes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Full-time musician, part-time photographer
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey all, I've been away for a while due to some crazy life changes (my wife and I had twins!) and I'm excited to be back and learning.

Recently I've embarked on a project that I designed to force me to take photographs of people. I feel that it's my weakest area, but also an area where I see the most potential for growth (and possible future business opportunities).

To that end, I've started a blog about my journey. If you all have a moment, please stop on over at dcjazzphotog.wordpress.com and have a look around. Opinions, feedback, and criticism are very much welcome! See a sample image below (Nikon D200, 50mm f/1.8 AF, ISO 100, f/2.5, 1/30sec).

DSC_5537.jpg
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Jonathan Barnes. Reason: Update photo info
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Getting Started with Portraits 1 year 9 months ago #6398

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
1st off congrats on the youngens. Nice job on the lighting I think, but there mite be to much space on the left and whats that gray stuff on the right? I think that needs to go bye bye.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Getting Started with Portraits 1 year 9 months ago #6399

• Jonathan Barnes
  • Fresh Boarder
Jerry, thanks for your comments. I was thinking the same thing about the gray wall on the right, but I was trying to keep a sense of place as opposed to total black.

I do think it is a bit distracting in this image though; perhaps because you can't see it on the left as well. I think some of the other photos in the set were more successful in this regard but I best liked the expression and lighting on the face in the shot above.

Getting Started with Portraits 1 year 9 months ago #6400

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
For me the space around the subject implies action, attention or motion. I think the black empty space almost makes it look like a screen grab from a movie because it implies the character in the shot moved from left to right and engaged the camera.

Also the grey stuff in the background adds a bit of life to what would be a flat background. but of course again, i'm thinking of this photo as a screen grab of a close up in a movie

here is an example of a shot from a tv show with the empty space behind the character to imply motion
photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2048/193/1600/jack_bauer.jpg
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Brent Ross.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Barnes

Getting Started with Portraits 1 year 9 months ago #6403

• Jonathan Barnes
  • Fresh Boarder
Here's a little behind the scenes post I wrote about the above photo shoot.

dcjazzphotog.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/ho...ndon-artist-profile/