Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait

What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait 4 years 10 months ago #376

What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait photography?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait 4 years 10 months ago #379

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi vinnyvette,
guess you know Greg´s opinion about that? He will doubtlessly opt for a 70-200mm 2.8 lens and I´m sure, he can explain why with good reasons. I don´t want forestall something so far.
Myself, I prefer primes, e.g. the Nikkor 85mm 1.4/1.8 and the 135mm 2.8 (AiS, manual focus) for headshots. If you´re using a Nikon with crop-sensor, a 50mm 1.4 plus a 85mm 1.4/1.8 could be a good choice. If want to stick to one prime lens , you could go for a 105mm lens (on FX) or - on DX - for the sigma 70mm, which is really really good.
Best regards, Olaf
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Olaf Kleemeyer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vinnyvette
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait 4 years 10 months ago #385

• Greg Griffith
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I think for the most part it is less about the lens and more about the user. You can ask tons of different photographers what lens they prefer to shoot portraits with and it will always be different.

Even though I am a Canon shooter, for a while I stuck to a prime 50mm 1.4 with a cropped sensor taking it up to 80mm. Then I switched to the 70-200 2.8 and now I am even debating on switching to the 100mm 2.8L Macro, just because it is super sharp.

Find a lens you feel the most comfortable using and that produces pictures to your liking. That will help you create your own style and be your own photographer.

Re: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait 4 years 10 months ago #386

For me its a flip between an 85 1.4 and a 70-200 2.8. Both are amazing but they both have their purpose.

@Greg G, I guess you haven't heard my thoughts on a 50mm lens for portraits...I should make a rant video.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vinnyvette, Jose Cruz

Re: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait 4 years 10 months ago #387

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Such a rant-video about using a 50mm-lens for portraits would be interesting. Although I heard you disliking this lens for portraits (in the last Q&A, as far as I can remember), I didn´t quite understand, why it shouldn´t be usable for body-portraits for instance. Especially for crop-sensors.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Olaf Kleemeyer.

Re: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait 4 years 10 months ago #388

• Greg Griffith
  • Junior Boarder
No I have and I understand why, but that was back when it was the cheapest large aperture lens I could afford. So when you have the choice between a short frame kit lens that goes as low as 5.6 then you have to make some compromises.

What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait 4 years 10 months ago #390

In order for a lens to be considered a "portrait" lens in needs to produce pleasing results for any portrait. 50mm lenses distort the face when shooting headshots, therefore it is not a "portrait" lens. That doesn't mean you can't take portraits with a 50mm, just beware of its limitations especially if you are trying to convey the beauty of a fine portrait.

Longer lenses don't have that problem, that's why 85, 105, & 135mm lenses are considered portrait lenses while a 50mm lens is just a "normal" lens.

Re: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait 4 years 10 months ago #392

• roy panaguiton
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
hi vinny. your here too? hehehe

anyways if your in a budget is the tammy 28-75 a good choice? i been contemplating of getting this lens next or just wait for the AF-S 85 1.8. i mainly shoot my baby(6yo) and son(7mo). so a zoom is very nice. but i love bokeh for my photo.

confused me... maybe i'll wait for the 85 1.8 to come out

Re: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait 4 years 10 months ago #433

have D7000 w\Battery Grip, SB-700, 18-200VRIIG,10-24mmG Nikon, Sigma 150MM fixed Macro, Nikkor 85 1.8D & 50MM 1.8G, Nikkor 35-70mm 2.8 (I have a friends 14-24 2.8 nikkor for a few months Next ones to get 70-200 vr1 Nikon

Just sold my 35mm 1.8G i'm thinking of selling my 85mm 1.8d and or 18-200vr2 to fund Nikkor 70-200 2.8 Vr1 or 2

Re: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait 4 years 10 months ago #434

• Rowdy Troutt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I just got a 70-200 and have only done a couple of head shots but they are amazing. I was using the 40mm Macro nikon lens since I got it in August and liked it but something always just looked a bit off with it.

Re: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait 4 years 10 months ago #440

• Josh Salley
  • Fresh Boarder
I would have to agree with what the others have said that the 70-200 is my favorite for portraits especially at the 200 end. It's just so sharp and compresses the background so nicely.
Capturing a moment and freezing it in time.

Re: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait 4 years 10 months ago #490

• Serdar Dikdik
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
70-200 and 85mm 1.4 are the first ones comes in mind like many friends told.

Are we forgeting the hidden king " 135mm DC defocus control"

Hard to use lens, especially now a days we have afs and smart cameras calculates everything exposure, etc.
But back to basics, a pro with 135mm DC lens and a decent body even with the old king F5; I believe can shoot portraits we can only dream of.

I dont feel my self sufficient to use that lens but I believe its the best lens for a portrait.

I wonder if Greg ever used that lens, maybe can give opinion in this subjets
Bigger is Better
  • Page: