Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait

More
7 years 8 months ago #899 by Zoltan Martel
Zoltan Martel replied the topic: Re: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait
I like the 60mm f2.8 micro nikkor as a portait lens for DX, it's about as sharp as the 85 f1.4 on FX in my opinion, and on FX it doubles as a very sharp handy 1:1 macro. At the same time, it's not expensive and light and compact. Downside is that it's just an f2.8, maximum sharpness is available at f3.2 and up, whereas the 85 f1.4 will deliver the same sharpness at f2. Both have smooth bokeh at those apertures.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #914 by Olaf Kleemeyer
Olaf Kleemeyer replied the topic: Re: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait
I agree, the 60mm is awesome and very useful as a portrait-lens on DX. Same thing with the 105mm Nikkor Micro 2.8

Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

More
7 years 8 months ago #919 by Alejandro
Alejandro replied the topic: Re: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait
Nikon 100 f/2.8 Series E

Not the best, but very very good if you can live with manual focus. I got mine dirt cheap and in absolute mint condition.

More
7 years 8 months ago #952 by Mistery
Mistery replied the topic: Re: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait
I currently use the 105mm when using backdrops and I use the 70-200mm when I'm out in a controlled enviroment.

D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele

More
6 years 9 months ago #2933 by Mark
Mark replied the topic: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait
Greg,

I fully get why the 50mm is not a "portrait" lens, especially after seeing your comparison photos on your presentation. But I am wondering, what if I'm in a situation where I have to use the 50mm...do you have any tips on how to get the best results with what I've got?

Thanks.

More
6 years 9 months ago #2939 by Erik Ballew
Erik Ballew replied the topic: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait

Mark wrote: Greg,

I fully get why the 50mm is not a "portrait" lens, especially after seeing your comparison photos on your presentation. But I am wondering, what if I'm in a situation where I have to use the 50mm...do you have any tips on how to get the best results with what I've got?

Thanks.

You use what you've got, Sometimes it isn't optimal, but you've got to use what you've got. I've gotten to the point that I wouldn't shoot anymore because I felt what I had in gear wasn't good enough. But when you get over that and start just doing it. Using what ever you've got it really is liberating. One thing that might help is to step back and go with 1/2 to 3/4 body shots, those are just fine with 50mm. Head shots are not ideal with 50mm, but that doesn't mean you "Can't" do it.

You'll find that gear Nazi's and Rule Jockeys are just grumpy old geezers, that either have all the gear they want, or don't shoot.

Sometimes a construction crew would love to be using a Jack Hammer, but when they can't. You'll, see them getting the job done with a sledge hammer...

I'll use this shot as an example, Almost nothing with this shoot was optimal. I only had an entry level Sony, 50mm, and a flash with me, in the mid day sun. But this is what I pulled off and the client was pleased as punch.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz, Mark

More
6 years 8 months ago #3073 by Gregory Cazillo
Gregory Cazillo replied the topic: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait

Mark wrote: Greg,

Thanks.

Rules are there for a reason, but they are also made to be broken. I never said you can't shoot portraits with a 50mm, just that headshots are not optimal with a 50mm. So if you only have a 50mm prime I would shoot 1/2 or 3/4 length images and not tighter portraits to minimize any distortion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz

More
6 years 8 months ago #3074 by Gregory Cazillo
Gregory Cazillo replied the topic: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait

Erik Ballew wrote:

Nice portrait, I would have moved her head/chin position for a more pleasing pose. See this video at the last two photos...segment starts at 8:36.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Cruz

More
6 years 8 months ago #3102 by Mark
Mark replied the topic: What is the best lens out there for Nikon portrait
Pretty much what I was thinking to do, Greg - shoot from further back, like a 1/2 or 3/4. Was also thinking if I can't shoot from further back, then posing my subject and making sure my camera isn't angled funny to keep distortion to a minimum.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.