Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why Is The Sun Not Round?

Why Is The Sun Not Round? 3 years 6 months ago #4093

This was taken with D7000, ISO 200, f32, 0.08s

Why is the sun jagged and not round?
20130314-_DSC5897-Edit.jpg
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Capt Mike.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Why Is The Sun Not Round? 3 years 6 months ago #4094

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
not sure what you are talking about
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Why Is The Sun Not Round? 3 years 6 months ago #4096

jerry wrote:
not sure what you are talking about

When the photo is enlarged or cropped to show a close up of the sun, you can see that it is not round but had jagged edges like this:
Attachments:
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Capt Mike.

Why Is The Sun Not Round? 3 years 6 months ago #4098

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Oh, right. I, like Jerry, had no idea what you were talking about before you showed the crop Mike. :P

I am not 100% sure but I would wager that it has something to do with shooting at f/32. When you stop down and down, the optical quality of the lens reduces and I am fairly sure that that is what has happened here.

It could also be the fact that the sun is so far away and only a mere portion of this image; the fact that you had to crop to 100% to see it shows this.

Honestly though, it is pretty unnoticeable when the image is viewed normally. If you want to avoid this though, you shouldn't really shoot at f/32. I am pretty certain that everything in this scene will be in focus from f/11 onwards anyway so there is no real need to shoot at such extreme apertures. If you need to get slower shutter speeds, using ISO 100 and an ND filter would be a better option.

Thanks for posting! :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Conor Casey. Reason: Grammer mistakes: my enemy! :P

Why Is The Sun Not Round? 3 years 6 months ago #4102

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
did you perhaps take this with a point and shoot camera and use digital zoom? If so, thats the problem (digital zoom is junk)..period!!). or if you took a small low res image and blew it up like 3 or 400%, that will also make a photo very pixelated

Why Is The Sun Not Round? 3 years 6 months ago #4103

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
jerry wrote:
did you perhaps take this with a point and shoot camera and use digital zoom? If so, thats the problem (digital zoom is junk)..period!!). or if you took a small low res image and blew it up like 3 or 400%, that will also make a photo very pixelated
If you read the post carefully, he took it with a D7000 - far from junk and even further from a compact camera! :P

This was one of my first thoughts too but looking at the fact that Mike used a D7000, I don't think that's it.
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Conor Casey.

Why Is The Sun Not Round? 3 years 6 months ago #4108

jerry wrote:

Hi Jerry

Lol....no....as stated in the OP

Why Is The Sun Not Round? 3 years 6 months ago #4110

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
sorry, guess i didn't read, then my only guess is you did a major crop, or you enlarged and very low res image. Perhaps post the original

Why Is The Sun Not Round? 3 years 6 months ago #4112

• Jim St Croix
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11

Why Is The Sun Not Round? 3 years 6 months ago #4113

Now via an email, Cazillo asked me to post this picture into the forum so that he could look at it and try to help. Since that time I see that he is not to be found or is avoiding this thread for some reason.

Greg, please do not offer your help if you are not going to follow up on it.

Why Is The Sun Not Round? 3 years 6 months ago #4115

Capt Mike wrote:
Now via an email, Cazillo asked me to post this picture into the forum so that he could look at it and try to help. Since that time I see that he is not to be found or is avoiding this thread for some reason.

Greg, please do not offer your help if you are not going to follow up on it.

I help as I can, relax. I get 20 emails a day asking for my help not to mention facebook, twitter, youtube and here on the forum. I am only one man and have to take care of my paying clients first. Surely you understand that.

Why Is The Sun Not Round? 3 years 6 months ago #4116

...even with this message on my contact form I still get all of those emails! I currently have almost 200 comments in my youtube folder which I haven't had time to respond to or touch, many are before your request.
"At Cazillo.com, we subscribe to the abundance mentality. Photographers, if you would like photography advice or help with your equipment, please post your question on the forum (rather than in a personal e-mail) so that everyone can benefit from your question and the subsequent advice. Greg reviews new posts on the forum daily and will do his best to respond ASAP.

Potential photography and web design clients, we welcome your e-mail inquiries."

BTW I agree with Conor and Jim, either could be the answer. If you shot a small jpeg that could also be part of it.
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Gregory Cazillo.
  • Page: