Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

Using polarising filters

More
4 years 1 month ago #4790 by Allen Tuff
Hi All

Most of us use polarises for landscapes, how many of us are getting a fully polarised blue sky in our shots? I rarely get the entire sky to come out as the deep polarised blue. What do I need to do to get this right?

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #4792 by Dave Clarke
In case you didn't already know, the filter has it's strongest affect at 90 degrees to the sun, and next to no affect when facing the sun, but sometimes i've noticed, the sky is very deep blue, when it's very clear, but most of the time (where i live) it isn't, and sometimes it's a very light blue. I think to get that extreme affect your'e talking about you have to be in the right place in relation to the sun, on a day when the sky is a that deep blue colour.
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Dave Clarke.

Pickup your Photography Tshirt today
More
4 years 1 month ago #4793 by Allen Tuff
Thanks Dave, yeah I know the 90 degree thing doesn't always seem to work, Yes the time of day is critical morning,late afternoon times when the sun is low. The problem is more noticeable the wider the lens used "More Sky"

Cheers

More
4 years 1 month ago #4803 by Bill
Have you tried using a graduated ND or "sky"(blue) filter? I will sometimes use them to help keep the sky from getting blown out.

More
4 years 1 month ago #4807 by Allen Tuff
For sure, ND filters are another great tool for landscapes.

More
3 years 11 months ago #5267 by Mike Lostraglio
As an addition to any photography experts who comment on this, I minored in physics in college. I studied atmospheric weather and one reason for the variation in "blues" is due to water vapor. It can be fairly uniform in its distribution or it could be patch, like pockets. If its uniformed the sky should appear a consistent blue. If it is in pockets, you may get a variation of blue. Note: even if there are no clouds in the sky, water vapor pockets do still happen. The less vapor, the darker blue. You just need to get mother nature to cooperate! Good Luck!