Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Using polarising filters

Using polarising filters 3 years 3 months ago #4790

Hi All

Most of us use polarises for landscapes, how many of us are getting a fully polarised blue sky in our shots? I rarely get the entire sky to come out as the deep polarised blue. What do I need to do to get this right?

Regards
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Using polarising filters 3 years 3 months ago #4792

• Dave Clarke
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
In case you didn't already know, the filter has it's strongest affect at 90 degrees to the sun, and next to no affect when facing the sun, but sometimes i've noticed, the sky is very deep blue, when it's very clear, but most of the time (where i live) it isn't, and sometimes it's a very light blue. I think to get that extreme affect your'e talking about you have to be in the right place in relation to the sun, on a day when the sky is a that deep blue colour.
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Dave Clarke.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Using polarising filters 3 years 3 months ago #4793

Thanks Dave, yeah I know the 90 degree thing doesn't always seem to work, Yes the time of day is critical morning,late afternoon times when the sun is low. The problem is more noticeable the wider the lens used "More Sky"

Cheers

Using polarising filters 3 years 3 months ago #4803

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Have you tried using a graduated ND or "sky"(blue) filter? I will sometimes use them to help keep the sky from getting blown out.

Using polarising filters 3 years 3 months ago #4807

For sure, ND filters are another great tool for landscapes.

Using polarising filters 3 years 3 weeks ago #5267

As an addition to any photography experts who comment on this, I minored in physics in college. I studied atmospheric weather and one reason for the variation in "blues" is due to water vapor. It can be fairly uniform in its distribution or it could be patch, like pockets. If its uniformed the sky should appear a consistent blue. If it is in pockets, you may get a variation of blue. Note: even if there are no clouds in the sky, water vapor pockets do still happen. The less vapor, the darker blue. You just need to get mother nature to cooperate! Good Luck!