Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: ND Filters??..

ND Filters??.. 4 years 10 months ago #973

• Clair
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi guys... What ND filters do you all use?

I've got the Cokin filter system with a couple of filters P123 'blue' & P197 'sunset', (which were given to me as a gift & to be honest I've not used them a great deal)...BUT...I've been seeing that quite few people do in fact use them & especially the ND filters, I had a quick look online to find out more but got very confused :S there are ALL types of ND filters, what do I need???

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: ND Filters??.. 4 years 10 months ago #974

• Serdar Dikdik
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
What are you asking sorry didnt understand.

are you asking how to use nd filters?
Bigger is Better
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: ND Filters??.. 4 years 10 months ago #982

• Mistery
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
That really depends on what you plan to shoot on what filter you plan to get.

I have one that reduces the light by six f-stops. Flowing water is rendered as flowing in the photo, and people moving in streets are dissolved in unsharpness or become invisible
D800 w/grip, D700 w/grip,V1,14-24mm F/2.8, 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 200-400mm F/4, 105mm,F/2.8,35mm F/1.4,35mm F/1.8, 85mm F/1.4,1.7x Tele

Re: ND Filters??.. 4 years 10 months ago #986

• Christian Udarbe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Just go out and shoot
  • Thank you received: 12
Depends really... Standard, or what most people would own (like me), would be ND8 filters; it reduces the exposure by 3 stops. Perfect for long exposure shots during the day. Or even using your prime lens wide open on a bright day.

But the Cokins you are talking about are Graduated ND Filters... What that means, half of that filter is essentially an ND filter that will transition onto the clear half of that filter (either abruptly or gradually).

Where the full ND filters reduce the exposure of the whole composition, a Graduated ND filter may be used, for example, darkening a bright sky without having to darken your subject to have a proper exposure.

I've seen others used the ND filter to lower the exposure of the whole image, and using the Graduated ND filters (let's say, like your Cokin Sunset filter) together to create those long exposure shots of seascapes while having the sky colored dramatically without involving the water.

So, if I were to tell you what to get and use, it would be get yourself an ND8 filter for those long exposure shots of seascapes and couple them with your Cokin system. Or you can forgo the ND8 filter and concentrate on landscapes with dramatic skies with your Cokin System.

Either way it still depends on what you shoot in the end.

Phew, long msg. Hope it makes sense! Let me know if this answers your concerns =]

A medical student;
A musician;
A photographer;
ITS ALL AN ART

Blogger
Facebook
Flickr
Twitter: @ChanUdarbe

Add me up!
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Christian Udarbe.

Re: ND Filters??.. 4 years 10 months ago #988

• Clair
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Makes perfect sense..Thanks Christian :)