Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nikon D3100: Hi ISOs Live Concert Photos

Nikon D3100: Hi ISOs Live Concert Photos 4 years 4 months ago #1750

Hey guys. Posted a thread a while ago with some test 12800 photos. Here are some live shots at the Hi-1 / Hi-2 ISOs with the D3100 from my first and second concerts I've ever shot.

Jerred Pruneau by Kenny Miller, on Flickr

ISO: Hi-1

_DSC5577 by Kenny Miller, on Flickr

ISO: Hi-2

_DSC5478 by Kenny Miller, on Flickr

_DSC5509 by Kenny Miller, on Flickr

_DSC5504 by Kenny Miller, on Flickr

ISO: Hi-1
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nikon D3100: Hi ISOs Live Concert Photos 4 years 4 months ago #1752

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi Kenny,

Good job. The images are looking good and solid. You need to look for better compositions to not cut of people's arms.

Try not to go to far into your ISO value's, at this kind of concerts, ISO 1600/3200/6400 should be more then enough.

At the last picture, you even cut of the man's head.. :) Try to avoid that next time.

I think you have the feeling. Try to get the technique right and i think you have a nice future as a photographer.. All you have to do is practice, practice and practice.

Good luck on your journey.

Greetings,
Roy
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Nikon D3100: Hi ISOs Live Concert Photos 4 years 4 months ago #1756

Roy van Ommen wrote:
Hi Kenny,

Good job. The images are looking good and solid. You need to look for better compositions to not cut of people's arms.

Try not to go to far into your ISO value's, at this kind of concerts, ISO 1600/3200/6400 should be more then enough.

At the last picture, you even cut of the man's head.. :) Try to avoid that next time.

I think you have the feeling. Try to get the technique right and i think you have a nice future as a photographer.. All you have to do is practice, practice and practice.

Good luck on your journey.

Greetings,
Roy

Thanks for the response and kind words, Roy.

I'm aware of the compositions I captured. Interesting thing about these two concerts is 1) there was no pit, so 2) I barely had any room to move left, right, back, and forward. For images 1 and 5, I was aiming to get all of the instruments in as well as all of their faces, therefore not cutting his head in image 5 would have caused me to lose the image completely because I wouldn't have captured what I needed. I definitely know where not to cut off body parts, but with only a 50mm and a 35mm and almost no moving room, pursuing perfect composition is sort of out of the window, you know? In image 5, there was a keyboard in the way (you can actually see some of it in the foreground), so if I recomposed, it would have blocked some of the main portion of the photo.

Also, I wish I could just stop at 6400 ISO lol believe me. But Even when I was at 12800, f/1.8 and 1/80, I was still underexposed. The lighting was definitely not my best friend. I was informed the venue got new stage lights last Friday though, I don't know how much that will change things in the future.

I will definitely keep trying to improve regardless of the obstacles though.