Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: dusk/night football event photo's

dusk/night football event photo's 4 years 3 months ago #2155

I haven't shot night time in awhile, only family events. shooting tonight before home football game. seniors walking with parents to honor their senior year. should I use custom w/b or flash w/b? i have gf collapsible light sphere, still getting used to it, any suggestions on best usage?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: dusk/night football event photo's 4 years 3 months ago #2157

• Ruslan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Nikon D7000 w/ 35mm 1.8 ... at least for now
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi
What equipment are you using - DX, FX, lens info would be helpful. Also shoot in RAW that way you have more flexibility.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: dusk/night football event photo's 4 years 3 months ago #2160

5D, 430ex, 24-105mm 4.0 L, 85mm 1.2 L - the students and parents will be walking towards me with stadium lights all around and sun setting...basically wanting to get my flash setting correct-I tend to shoot as much natural light as possible, I could get away with it with using the 85 but not sure

Re: dusk/night football event photo's 4 years 3 months ago #2161

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi there,

In my opinion, if there are stage lights/other lights and the sun, never use the flash. You can distract people with the flash, and you will not capture the natural light which could be beautifull. If you are very short on light, then you need a kick from the flash.

About the lens, i think you should go for you 24 - 105 because i think you will not suit all shots with the prime or you will need to crop, or you can not frame properly :) With the zoom lens, you can zoom around and get things closer and further away :)

Just my 2 cents.

By the way, welcome to the forum :)

Greetings,
Roy

Re: dusk/night football event photo's 4 years 3 months ago #2163

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
what Roy said :), I would try to get on the sideline before as well to take some practice shots. This will help ensure you have your setting correct. The stadium lights should provide a decent amount of light, I would try to stay at F4 for max light intake. Something to keep in mind is the setting sun might cause rapid changes in the ambient light available.

Good Luck

Re: dusk/night football event photo's 4 years 3 months ago #2165

thank you both! thinking the same on the lens, more opportunity obviously, but i love the beautiful images out of the 85. anyway, i plan on taking the advice of going a bit early to check out w/b and exposure, since they are walking and I am not shooting the game i have one less thing to worry about. I want to avoid "flash looking" shots.

Re: dusk/night football event photo's 4 years 3 months ago #2169

• Paul Ciura
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Nikon D7000, Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
Not sure if you can do this on your Canon (my guess is you can), but when I am in environment that the ambient light changes frequently, on my Nikon D7000 I set my Auto ISO to be at lets say 1600 max and my minimum shutter speed at lets say 1/100th and I shoot in aperture priority mode. This way I don't have to worry about adjusting anything but my aperture for the creative shots.

My guess is though that you will need to use some flash. Shoot in RAW and you will be good.

Good Luck!
-Paul Ciura
www.paulciura.com

Re: dusk/night football event photo's 4 years 3 months ago #2171

I don't entirely agree with the other posts. Sometimes a little flash to help fill in the shadows can go a long way. Notice I said a little-the flash would be your fill light, leaving the sun or stadium lights as your main light (strongest source). Testing your settings is going to be key, flash definitely should be on TTL for moving objects. Also be aware of light levels changing as the sun goes down.

Re: dusk/night football event photo's 4 years 3 months ago #2175

• Roy van Ommen
You can bump the ISO on that 5D easily. And take a picture of a greycard. Then just auto white balance and sync it up or correct it in your post processing.

Oh yeah, by the way, this is the way i would do it. It does not bring down the way you will/would do it :)

greetings,
Roy

Re: dusk/night football event photo's 4 years 3 months ago #2176

• Roy van Ommen
Gregory Cazillo wrote:
I don't entirely agree with the other posts. Sometimes a little flash to help fill in the shadows can go a long way. Notice I said a little-the flash would be your fill light, leaving the sun or stadium lights as your main light (strongest source). Testing your settings is going to be key, flash definitely should be on TTL for moving objects. Also be aware of light levels changing as the sun goes down.

Greg,

I am curious, would you go for a direct hit with the flash on full TTL? Or bounce the flash? And will you change anything on the display from the flash fo make it a "fill light".

Oh by the way Elizabeth, keep in mind that when you use the flash, you will not zoom further than your flash can go. I thought the 430 will not go further than 105mm, so thats exactly the maximum of the 24-105. If you use a 70-200, you will loose light.. :)

Greetings,
Roy

Re: dusk/night football event photo's 4 years 3 months ago #2179

I did do a bit of research on ETTL vs manual so I agree with you on that. I also agree about the rapidly changing light, that is what scares me a bit, it seems that there will be so many variances in wb along with it. I do not have a grey card but have used my gf sphere dome to get wb and i've used my in camera wb custom setting as well. Hopefully I will be close enough that I won't need to zoom in to 105, I'm told I get to be right in front of each group coming through the line on the field.

Re: dusk/night football event photo's 4 years 3 months ago #2198

• Roy van Ommen
Hi Elizabeth,

In my whole photography expirience, i have had never problems with the white balance. I just do it with post processing.

But hey! Thats my workflow though :)

Greetings,
Roy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elizabeth Bishop
  • Page: