Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)

Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!

cazillo.com/c/forum/keep-shooting-photography-assignments.html

Playing with Fire (Photography)

More
3 years 5 months ago #4834 by Tim Shrimpton
Hi everyone!

WE had a cookout yesterday and some friends stayed longer for a fire in the fire pit. After I got done being mesmerized by the flames, I grabbed the camera to see if I could get anything interesting. I had fun playing with ISO and shutter speed to capture different looks (freezing the flames, vs. a bright and blurry fire. Shot with the tripod so that the wood, etc., could still be sharp.

The one idiotic thing that happened was, in trying to adjust the ISO in the dark, I hit the wrong button and was dialing in the quality settings, so some of the images (and some of my favorite ones!) got shot in JPG at 1/4 of their potential resolution. ARGH! But, I'll be more careful next time! Night shoot is difficult!

Any thoughts on these images or things you like to do with shooting flames that might try next time? There are a few others in the set that I won't post in the thread if you want to view them on Flickr.

09.01.2013 - 20.54.45 [SHR_6465].jpg by daroga28 , on Flickr

09.01.2013 - 20.56.16 [SHR_6469].jpg by daroga28 , on Flickr

09.01.2013 - 21.01.15 [SHR_6477].jpg by daroga28 , on Flickr

09.01.2013 - 21.01.55 [SHR_6480].jpg by daroga28 , on Flickr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #4835 by Brent Ross
the last two would make nice stock photos as they can easily be layered in via screen or add mode to composites due to clean black backdrop also known as night time

Pickup your Photography Tshirt today
More
3 years 3 months ago #5268 by Mike Lostraglio
I think they look great! There is just something about fire that is so majestic and mesmerizing. I like the last on the best. It reminds me of a flower.

More
3 years 3 months ago #5273 by Roy van Ommen
Hi Tim,

The last one is the one for me! Very nice and clean image. I like it for sure. Can you tell us how you created this?

Looking forward to try that out!

Greetings,
Roy

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #5274 by jerry
i like the top 2 the most, but the bottom two are neat also. The bottom one looks like someone running or walking
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by jerry.

More
3 years 3 months ago #5287 by Gregory Cazillo
Nice job.