Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Light Trails portrait!

Light Trails portrait! 2 years 7 months ago #5831

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had experiance of shooting a picture of a person/portrait at night time with traffic lighttrails.

I have shoot traffic light trails before with great success, but i want to shoot one with a person in the frame as well.

With the longer shutter speed (anywhere of 1s +) how do you account for getting the person perfectly still whilst capturing the trails.

Is the 2nd curtain sync with external flash (either mounted on the camera or off the camera) the answer? I.e the shutter opens starts to capture the trails, flash fires with 2nd curtain sync and captures the person 'frozen'?

Does anybody have a different idea? Or know how long you can push the shutter time with a person in the frame that will potentially move and therefore cause blur to themselves?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Light Trails portrait! 2 years 7 months ago #5832

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I am not sure which on it is, but you have to use either 1st curtain or 2nd curtain to get the light trail, I could be wrong, but i think its 1st curtain 2nd curtain that you need to use.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Light Trails portrait! 2 years 7 months ago #5833

jerry wrote:
but i think its 1st curtain 2nd curtain that you need to use.

You think its both 1st and 2nd curtain? Im not sure that makes sense to me.

My thought was, by using 2nd curtain, that allows the light from the vehicles in (creating the trails) but the person (especially if they are in black) wouldnt show up that well, when the flash goes off with 2nd curtain, thats when they are exposed in the image.

Light Trails portrait! 2 years 7 months ago #5834

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
sorry, typo i created, i meant 2nd curtain should give you the effect you want