Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Night shot of a busy road in Vancouver

Night shot of a busy road in Vancouver 4 years 11 months ago #329

• Tim March
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
About a week ago I went with one of my buddies to do some long exposures. This was my first time ever doing long exposures and I really enjoyed doing them. I found it really relaxing because I could take my time, set up my shot and fiddle with my exposure as much as I wanted as I wasn't trying to anticipate or capture a specific moment anything. This one is probably my favorite:

Shot with Canon t2i (550d) and 18-55mm (f3.5-5.6) (i bought my 24-70mm 2.8L a few days later)
30mm
30 seconds
f11
iso 100

IMG_3228.jpg

if you would like to check out some of my other long exposures from that night they're right here 500px.com/TimMarch
Canon T2i (550d) 24-70 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.8
500px.com/TimMarch
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Tim March.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Chiodini

Re: Night shot of a busy road in Vancouver 4 years 11 months ago #334

Great job. The only thing that would make it better would be if there was a "S" in the road or a turn. This not a criticism of your photo mind you as I think you nailed it, just a suggestion on how to make it even more interesting next time.
Also, have someone run around in the lane on camera right. The back lights of the cars show up better when the cars are hitting their breaks! (Just kidding)
Thanks for sharing.
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Mark Chiodini.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Night shot of a busy road in Vancouver 4 years 11 months ago #335

• Olaf Kleemeyer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi Tim,
nice shot. I checked your photos at 500px.com and found the photo "tracks", which is even better. The sky is not that dark, so something of the environment can be seen. Also I miss some eyecatcher in the foreground.
Regards Olaf
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

Re: Night shot of a busy road in Vancouver 4 years 11 months ago #346

• Tim March
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Thank-you for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Mark, I find that I'm drawn to straight lines for some reason. No doubt an "S" would be interestng. At some point I'll have to do another shot like this on a more interesting road. Also, I like your suggestion for getting more break lights! I should do another photo like this somewhere there is a police speed trap haha

Olaf, I also really like "tracks" when doing that photo I sat their and played with the framing and exposure for like 15 minutes. I probably should have spent some more time on this photo. Regardless, I really like both of them.
Canon T2i (550d) 24-70 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.8
500px.com/TimMarch