Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sports- Improving Color/Contrast in Broad Daylight

Sports- Improving Color/Contrast in Broad Daylight 4 years 6 months ago #1481

• Jim
  • Fresh Boarder
I am a serious hobbyist with some descent knowledge reaching out to "you Pro's" for some suggestions and insight as to how I may best improve my photography.

Shooting sports (or anything else for that much) in broad daylight is never ideal- however sometimes there are just no options.

I know that this is part of the problem however I'm looking for suggestions from anyone who may have tips/tricks for improving color and contrast IN CAMERA when shooting in direct sunlight- so what suggestions might you guys have to maintain a reasonably wide open aperture with fast enough shutter speed to isolate your subjects and stop motion?

Here's my scenario- D700 used typically with a 70-200 2.8 VRII and/or Sigma 120-300 HSM OS. I hope to shoot at around f/4- f/5.6 to maintain some isolation and I am finding that even at 1/4000th or higher that my images are just way too bright.

Is my only option a preset in LR?

Any ideas? Tips? Tricks?

Much appreciated-
Jim
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Jim. Reason: Typo
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sports- Improving Color/Contrast in Broad Daylight 4 years 6 months ago #1482

Can you post a photo along with its histogram without any adjustments? For the most part you can only capture what is there when it comes to sports and other photojournalistic types of photography.

If we follow the sunny 16 rule (bright sunlit day should be ISO 100, F16 at 1/125/sec shutter)

That would put you at f4 ISO 200 1/4000/sec shutter. You should be close...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today