Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Camera choice

Camera choice 4 years 4 months ago #1820

• Andrew
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello all,

My issues is this...I am just getting into photography and wanting to upgrade from my point and shoot to a dslr. I have been taking sports photos more then anything and have been asked by many parents to start taking some of their kids sporting events. I am a stay at home dad that works part time so my budgets not very big atm.

I have been looking at used cameras on Craigslist but am not sure what I should be looking for.Canon 40D and 60D or even the T3I...T3I is by far the cheapest body and figured would spend more on better lenses then upgrade. Ive also been looking at Nikons though I have no real experiance with them but then again being my first DSLR I dont think it matters.....Any suggestions? Tips?
Thanks much
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Camera choice 4 years 4 months ago #1823

If you've been around for a while you might have heard me mention Kathy. She is in exactly the same situation as you but she is about 2 years ahead.

You said budget is tight but you really should look at a Nikon D7000 or higher body as it will be your minimum for decent focus and shooting speed for sports.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: Camera choice 4 years 4 months ago #1830

• Conor Casey
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the forum. :)

If you are going to be shooting sports, you will need two things: a camera with a good auto-focus system and a camera with fast continuous shooting. Unfortunately, these features are usually seen on more expensive models, not entry-level. They are generally around €1,100 or above. This is the price for a body only Nikon D7000, which would be perfect for you.

But, as you said you budget is tight which limits your options. Thankfully, this is where Sony come to the rescue. Sony have a line of cameras called Translucent Mirror cameras, also known as SLTs. They have a semi-transparent mirror instead of a mirror which flips up as in a DSLR. This lets the majority of the light to pass through to the sensor and the mirror doesn't flip up when you take a photo. This has a number of benefits for you. As the mirror doesn't move when you take a photo, Sony SLTs have very quick continuous shooting and full time phase detection auto focus. A full explanation can be found here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_SLT_camera

So, for on a budget sports photography, I think these Sony SLTs are perfect for you. It depends on exactly how much you want to spend but at a glance, I recommend the A57 for you (store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet...=8198552921666433223)

It has a very fast continuous shooting of 12 fps (frames per second) and a good 15 point AF. The only thing you would have to give up with the SLTs is an optical viewfinder as in DSLRs, in favor of an electronic one. I recommend you try this out in person first as they are not to everyone's taste, although the one in the A57 is supposed to be very good. It goes for about $799. If that is too expensive, look at the A37.

Hope this has helped Andrew. :)
Conor Casey
Flickr
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Conor Casey.

Re: Camera choice 4 years 4 months ago #1837

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Welcome to the Forum! :)

Well.. i think i could not say it better as Conor Casey. He nailed your question haha :)

As far as the Canon models.. For good and decent sport photography, you would not want to go lower than a Canon 7D... I have a 60D and its too slow and does not have the right AF system for good sport photography.

If i want to, i can make it with that mody, but not as good and easy as with the 7D ;)

Greetings,
Roy

Re: Camera choice 4 years 4 months ago #1843

• Andrew
  • Fresh Boarder
First off thank you for the welcomes and the help...at this point it looks like I will have to stick with my
Canon SX20 IS.... not ideal for sports but the bodies listed arnt gonna happen for me anytime soon lol. Again I work part time and food for the kids and bills come first...it would take me 10weeks just to get the body and I know lenses will be another 40 weeks.....wont happen. I am only taking kids sports as in little league and such...I wont have anything on SI's cover anytime soon.

I will keep saving and who knows in 10 years I might be set :P

Re: Camera choice 4 years 4 months ago #1857

• Ruslan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Nikon D7000 w/ 35mm 1.8 ... at least for now
  • Thank you received: 2
You don't have to get the newest body on the market look at some older pro body's. B&H has a used section on their site. Just an idea

Re: Camera choice 4 years 4 months ago #1863

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Or try a entry level DSLR with a standard Kitzoomlens like a 18-135 or 55-250 to get the most out of it.

If you want to make money out of it, thats can be a step to start with and grow in it. But start with the basics. If you have a good eye, your camera is only a tool.

Give a good photographer a lego camera and he will create amazing shots.

(refer: "DigitalRev TV - Kai and Chase Jarvis)