Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cycling

Cycling 3 years 7 months ago #4114

Hi Greg

I will be shooting at a charity cycle event in a few weeks and have been asked to take a number of images at the finishing line and some static group shots. I have never shot sports before. What camera settings would you suggest and would you recomment using the 70-200 lens as I only really want to bring one lens.

Thanks

lancellot
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cycling 3 years 7 months ago #4117

Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Cycling 3 years 7 months ago #4129

Greg, many thanks for the excellent and informative videos.

If I only had to take a single lend with me for the moving and static shots (individual and group) would you go for the 20-200?

I want to keep the subject in focus but have a nice bokeh. What range of apertures and shutter speeds should I be looking at?

Thanks again

Cycling 3 years 6 months ago #4136

• Roy van Ommen
  • Creative minds for all!
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi!

If you had a single lens to take with you to a sports event, i would always recommend something like the 70-200. If thats not in your bag and you have a 20-200 (??). Take that with you.

Is you want the object in focus, always think about a shutter speed of 1/500 or higher and try to move with your subject so that stays sharp while the background will be moved to get subject movement.

Also, to get nice "bokeh", you can use any F/stop because you are following the subject. But to get it instant, try to be below f/5.0. And even better, F/2.8.

Try to be gentle at following the subject. How better and how smoother you do, how better the image will be.

Good luck on it.

#Keep Shooting

Greetings,
Roy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lancellot