Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Poles and Barrels

Poles and Barrels 3 years 2 months ago #4987

I am just learning photography and do not have much experience shooting events. I would love to hear your opinion on the photos and I am open to suggestions on how to improve in the future.

Barrels by Julie Anne Moore's Photography, on Flickr

Poles by Julie Anne Moore's Photography, on Flickr

Barrels by Julie Anne Moore's Photography, on Flickr

More poles and barrels photos
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Julie Anne Moore.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Poles and Barrels 3 years 2 months ago #4998

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
hey i like your framing and you definitely captured the action. I'm no sports photographer and have no experience but id say that the second picture. Its not a flattering expression on her face, but it is a nice photo as a whole. The sky sort of of seems a bit too cyan and just a tad to powerful but im just nit picking.

Id say the biggest issue that im not sure if you could fix is the extreme contrast the harsh sun is giving these photos. I'd imagine you are too far for a fill flash. to bad it wasn't overcast.

Id be happy if I were your client.
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Poles and Barrels 3 years 2 months ago #5004

• Bill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Julie,
Nice set over all, I would like to see more Bokeh in the background(Blurred background). To accomplish this you would use a lager aperture so instead of shooting at F4 maybe try F3.5 of F2.8. My favorite is #5 but it might be just a little soft in the riders face(nit picking).

As a whole I think I would like to see less blacks, they look a little clipped to me. You can hold the "alt" key while grabbing the blacks slider in Lightroom. This will turn your screen white. Move the blacks slider around until you get just a few point poking through the white. This is not a one size fits all way to do it but will give you a great starting point!

Keep up the good work!
-Bill

Poles and Barrels 3 years 2 months ago #5007

• Gabe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Heres my two cents. As far as composition goes, I would prefer a tighter crop either in camera or in post. Bring us closer to the subjects. You are using a 80-200 lens. I would try zooming in on the subjects. This will help compress the background and give us a nice bokeh...even at an f4.

In post, pay attention to your white balance. Some of the images appear blue and green. I love heavy contrast and blacks, but I agree with Bill on this one. Try pulling some of the blacks back (just a touch :) ) or try adjusting the shadows. You can also try Black and white! (I would personally go heavy on the contrast ;) ) Other than that, good job.

Last bit about the watermark. I like the design but its too large and the placement isnt ideal. In general, the watermark should be on the bottom left corner. You want your viewers to focus on the image, not the watermark.

All in all, good job. Like Brent, If I was your client I would be happy with your work.

Poles and Barrels 3 years 2 months ago #5010

• Brent Ross
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Yeah I agree, bring some of the black detail back. To smoother transitions between light and dark areas.

Poles and Barrels 3 years 2 months ago #5037

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. I will keep all these suggestions in mind.

Poles and Barrels 3 years 1 month ago #5044

• jerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
you have some very nice photos, but that watermark kills the shot, it is way to big.

Poles and Barrels 3 years 1 month ago #5055

Agreed on the watermark...