Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!
Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments (04 Feb 2013)
Be sure to check out the new Keep Shooting! Photography Assignments, every two weeks there is a new one!
Indoor Sports Photography
The attached photo (if I attached it correctly) has an ISO 1600, 130mm, 0 EV, f/6, 1/80. All the subjects of the photo seem to be out of focus and I'm not sure what setting I need to change.
keep your shutter speed greater than 100
open up all the way
adjust iso to get exposure correct. Evaluate your histogram
Yes it will be noisy, but getting proper exposure reduces banding caused by underexposure. Noise can be dealt with in camera raw or lightroom, underexposure loses precious data.
The pictures will not be perfect, but given the setup shooting this way will be optimal.
Always use AF. It is very hard to MF through an optical view finder. MF is handy in a very few instances: macro, video, hyperfocal distance.
- Open your aperture as wide as it will go. I would assume at 130mmm, your widest F stop should be around 5.6.
- Increase your ISO if possible. This will help get those faster shutter speeds. It may produce noise but that can be reduced in post process.
- Auto focus! Your subjects will be moving faster then you can manually focus.
- Use spot focus so you can select your focal point instead of letting the camera choose.
- Try changing your meter mode. I primarily use spot metering but I think matrix metering will give you proper exposure in this situation.
To shoot sports, i always use a shutter speed above 1/250 /s on my 70-200 F2.8 @ F3.5 or @ F4.0.
Try to get that allright. You can even bump your shutterspeed up to 500 to just get decent shots, after using that and nailing that, you can try with lower shutter speed and try to move with the subject to get speed in your image...
So Just try that out. You can also try to shoot moving cars to just capture speed and try things out.. That worked for me...
Please Support Us