Get Your FREE copy of Top 10 Tips for All Beginning Photographers ...plus Lightroom Develop Presets & Wedding Photography Checklist!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: More studio portraits

More studio portraits 4 years 10 months ago #1044

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello all, here are recent studio portraits (from the last week).

1/125 at f/11, ISO 200, Nikon 105mm f/2.8 Micro

Photogenic strobe at 1/8 power camera left with strip box, another strobe camera right (for the background) set at 1/16 power with barn doors and a purple gel.

1/125 at f/11, ISO 200, Nikon AF 50mm f/1.4

Same strip box (1/8 power) on subject, only now there are two strobes on the background shooting into umbrellas, strobes set to 1/2 power each making the the background three stops brighter than subject for a high key.

1/125 at f/11, ISO 200, Nikon AF 180mm f/2.8

One Photogenic strobe with medium soft box placed about 60 degrees camera left and set to 1/8 power for a low key portrait.

1/125 at f/16, ISO 200, Nikon AF 180mm f/2.8

Two Photogenic strobes, main light with (1/8 power) a snoot to focus the light on the camera, another strobe (1/16 power) with a green gel on barn doors to light the background. A flag was also used to keep the green off of the camera.

Comments and criticism welcome.

Andy
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: More studio portraits 4 years 9 months ago #1046

• Scott St.Cyr
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
All really good shots. The only one I really have a problem with is #3. The light really throws things off for me. A small Rembrandt on the same side as the light when the far side of his face is in shadow? Kinda hard to figure the light out on that one. Also, I'm not that keen on his eyes being cut so far to the side in the pose. Maybe turn him a bit more straight-on?

Love the DoF on the last one. The green is just like BUTTAH!!

All in all, some really great shots. Just a few nit-picks.

Scott
Pickup your Photography Tshirt today

Re: More studio portraits 4 years 9 months ago #1052

• Andrew Olson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I forgot to mention, on #3, there was a silver reflector on the right side bouncing light back into the left side of his face.

The depth of field with my 180 f/2.8 (equiv of 270mm) is insane, even on a crop body, I cant imagine what it is like on a full frame body. Since it will not AF on my D5000, the only way to truly get critical focus at f/4 and bigger is the use live view, zoom in and adjust it, all while on a tripod of course, lol.

Andy
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Andrew Olson.